1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

Dissenting opinion: I read American Pastoral years ago, count it as an all-time great. My only qualification would be that I liked Sabbath's Theater better. It's crazier and also a little more specific.

2. So I gave up on American Pastoral. Ugh.
    Just finished Ruth Rendell's Girl Next Door. Hardly riveting, but a good story. I'm sort of disgusted with myself that I was so entertained reading a story about old people and their relationships.
    But I enjoyed the story.

Up next is "A Man Came Out of A Door in the Mountain."

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Did it make you feel old?:)

4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Thanks to jury duty, I had a lot of free time this week, so I finished this. It was at times frustrating reading this, because James Brown spent a bunch of money to set up a supposedly airtight will that directed where the majority of his estate was to go after he died, and that money has been tied up legal battles for 10 years.

That's not all the book's about, but that's a big chunk of it. Lots of good insight from people who knew Brown, and people who knew people who knew Brown.

Joe Bob says check it out.

5. Flip Wilson

[​IMG]

And I had an almost-free weekend (and I skipped Sunday school today to read), so I finished this one as well. It's a lovely little book about a friendship between a man whose just lost his wife of 60-plus years and his daughter's friend, who happens to be a reporter in New York. The meals Edward prepares sound really good; it would have been nice if some of the recipes were in the book.

Joe Bob says check it out.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I mentioned this up the thread a piece, terrific book, excellent companion to The One: The Life and Music of James Brown by RJ Smith which is a great bio.

Flip Wilson likes this.
  7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Finished the Mike Love book, he came across as a cranky, bitter old guy in a Rolling Stone story a few months back but his book presents what to me seems to be a pretty clear-eyed view of his role in the band, both as a contributor to some of their best songs and as the guy who has kept the enterprise on the road all these years. Doesn't ignore the dark side of life with the Beach Boys, either. The stuff on the band's formative days is great too. I have the Brian Wilson book in the queue.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Just finished Bruce's autobiography, will probably dive into Mike Love next. And, as previously noted, I already have it so your ass didn't cost me money this time.

Huggy likes this.
  9. Flip Wilson

Apologies if I pulled a D_B on this thread. I try to keep up, but I obviously missed your post about the book. I would have just replied to that had I seen it.

But, agreed, excellent book.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

No worries there, glad somebody else came across this book.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

My son, all of a sudden, has a new sports fetish. He can't be pulled away from a baseball game, had to watch part of the VT game last night before bed (he obviously doesn't understand shitty teams, yet). Watches SportsCenter all the time.

Anyone have any recommendations for sports books for kids?

Draft saved Draft deleted