1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspaper endorsements going against the will of your subscribers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 20, 2016.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I believe Junior is pulling most of the strings now, but I haven't asked that question specifically.

2. With regard to politics: O. Nutting makes the calls. All. Of. Them.

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

That comes as no surprise. I did a brief stint 2-3 years ago as co-acting ME of my old Ogden shop between hires. Wheeling made available a handful of editorials per month that could run if we wanted them -- my old boss used to call them "Obama and his cronies" letters because that phrase was bound to appear in there somewhere. We knew on which side our bread was buttered. The U.P. is probably comparably socially conservative to West By God, but more prone to vote Democrat because of significant (but not as much as it used to be) influence from organized labor (mining) and environmental concerns.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

In 2008 my paper endorsed Obama over Hillary in the Democratic primary and we lost exactly one customer over it. Our circulation director showed me the stop. (The customer resumed service about eight weeks later.)

Endorsements are no better than pick-it lines. If it causes you grief and has no effect on the outcome, what's the fucking point?

Bamadog likes this.
  5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Sheldon Adelson has no idea what you're talking about.

6. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

My former newspaper just endorsed Hillary Clinton and the Trump supporters are out in full force on the paper's Facebook page, threatening to cancel subscriptions, etc. Some of the comments are comical, such as the woman who said she never heard of a newspaper endorsing a candidate until Obama. Some are downright disturbing.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The Richmond (Va.) Times-Dispatch won't do endorsements after this election cycle. The president/publisher of the paper explains why:

Tom Silvestri column: Why 2018 will be the last year the RTD makes editorial endorsements

In a nutshell: We live in divisive times, and readers don't understand the difference between an editorial board and the "objective" journalists in the newsroom.

For whatever his longwinded reasons, I agree. The dwindling time/resources/newshole that newspapers have should be used for reporting on government and politics, not endorsements.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Newspaper endorsements may have some impact in crowded primaries or way down ballot races because they can give a candidate name recognition they might not otherwise get. Aside from that, I question if they have ever affected a single vote.

9. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I don’t believe Ogden papers are required to publish specific editorials, including endorsements.

I was in that chair for a presidential election. There was no directive from on high.

10. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I agree with Silvestri's rationale: A lot of people can't, or refuse to, separate a news organization's editorial and news department. Many voters are set in their ways, and no newspaper will change their mind. All papers, in this day and age, should halt endorsements.

I Should Coco likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't care who or what an newspaper endorses - but you better make a compelling argument. Too many endorsements read like the editor had to write it against his or her will and wrote a non-sensical endoresment to undermine the decision.

Surprised an endorsement hasn't been formatted like

Five Reasons We Think People Should Vote for Jim Bob.

Three Reasons why people Shouldn't vote for Cletus.

HanSenSE and Doc Holliday like this.
  12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

In short: people are stupid.

Draft saved Draft deleted