1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smoking, need ideas to kick it before I get really hooked

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bradley Guire, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Gosh. Proud of you! Is there a stop drinking app with similar features?

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Not that I know, but I've never looked into it.

MLC has some neat features that make it interesting to check regularly, which helps keep me on course.

It is flawed, though. I cannot account for changes in the price of cigarettes historically or changes in how much I smoked during different periods of my life.

But it's cool.

Vombatus likes this.
  3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm in Day 42.
    According to MLC app, I've decreased my risk of heart attack by more than 2% already and lung cancer by more than 0.5%.

exmediahack likes this.
  4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Based on your posts, I downloaded that app just to see what my numbers would be.

After almost four years without a cigarette, my heart attack risk is 60 percent of what it was, and my lung cancer risk is 82 percent. I've added 109 days to my life, apparently.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's pretty cool, right?
    I like to check it, and I think it helped me a little on difficult days. Brings me decision and resolve back to top of mind. Not the info as much as just the act of checking it, which serves as a reminder

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm about midway through day 60.
    I've saved an estimated $178 by not buying cigarettes.
    My circulation has improved by an estimated 50%.
    I've added almost 2.5 days to my life expectancy.

FileNotFound and cjericho like this.
  7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Now, just make sure you don't walk out in front of a bus or all those numbers will be screwed. ;)

Vombatus likes this.
  8. Vombatus

God, I had the same thought but didn't want to post it.

How many of us try to live right to extend our lives and then get randomly fucked?

old_tony likes this.
  9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Great to read about your successes, Buck and Creosote. Hopefully Bradley is finding similar success, even though he hasn't checked in here in nearly four weeks.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

If I had known living right was the path to getting randomly fucked I would have straightened out a long time ago. Sadly being married no longer afords me the joy of a random fucking. I usually know when it's coming ... so to speak.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Too bad you can't swap those for days when you were having the most sex. Then, use those most-sex days for times when you were in a dry spell.

Instead, those days are added to the end of your life when you're drooling on yourself and pissing your pants. Seems kind of unfair. Sympathies.

12. Vombatus

I just had a vision of what sj will be like in around 40 years.

Ugh.

Draft saved Draft deleted