1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I have a theory on this rule.

The NHL hates it when a game is decided in OT and there is a delay in reviewing. You want fans to have that spontaneous emotion, and not have it jerked away from them. I'm betting that ties in with the 10-second guideline.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Exactly this. These are the iconic moments. Nobody wants an early 00s NHL situation where nobody knows when to celebrate because every goal will lead to three minutes of carefully examining if any toes were touching the crease.

"The Giants win the pennant! Maybe! Let's wait for the umps to huddle for a few minutes to make sure that the Giants win the pennant!"

You can live with some bad calls to keep the soul of the game intact

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I come, I go.

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

That's a good motto for life. And bedroom activities.

Welcome back.

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The season the Stars beat the Sabres in the Cup finals comes to mind.

RickStain likes this.
  6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Outing alert: RS is the Karma Chameleon.

RickStain and HanSenSE like this.
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Year of the Trum ...

Trump close to being president ... Trumbo hits 47th homer tonight.

Trumbo.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

If I'm a Seattle GM, I smash the phone if the Orioles come calling. Straight killed twice on trades in the last decade ...

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Jays loss and Tigers win means Detroit holds its own destiny, sort of.

Tigers could play at Atlanta on Sunday (161), vs. Cleveland at home on Monday make-up (162), at Toronto or Baltimore on Tuesday (Game 163 for last playoff spot), at Toronto or Baltimore on Wednesday (Wild Card showdown) and at Texas on Thursday and Friday (Game 1-2 ALDS). And that's not counting if Seattle gets into the mix somehow.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

They pretty much gave away Trumbo. with Bedard they gave up what turned out to be way too much in Jones and Tillman. But at the time with Bedard coming off two good seasons in a hitters' park and being only 28, would think everyone expected he'd give the Mariners a lot more than he did. guess injuries played a big part though.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted