1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I don't remember what was in the transcripts so maybe you are correct. But like Ray Rice, could a video of Trump making disparaging remarks hit people harder? I know he has said many, many terrible things but might comments under oath paint an even uglier picture?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I asked this question during the primaries, and I will pose it now for the general election, because nothing Trump does or says seems to cost him the 40-42 percent of the vote that seems to serve as his floor:

Let's say Trump is speaking at a hypothetical rally today. Midway through, he shouts: "This country would be far better off without all the niggers and spics!" Despite much pressure, he does not drop out of the race.

What percentage of the popular vote does he garner on Election Day?

3. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Maybe 25-30%? I would think that plenty would still vote for him but I would hope a fair number would finally have enough. After all it is a basket of deplorables.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He's popular among some journo friends/acquaintances I have. All the Johnson types I know are men. All hate Clinton. I expect one or two of them to vote for Trump.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Libertarians are just Republicans who have real difficulty with women on every level.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Ahem ...

7. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

I thought they were Republicans who smoke pot or drink a lot

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Along those lines, I wonder how many men would be Democrats but for one issue, the Second Amendment. This is anecdotal, but I seem to see a lot of acquaintances who are pretty far left on almost every issue, including economic issues, but are in practice staunch one-issue voters, and that issue is gun owners' rights.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Photon torpedoes incoming: the Star Trek universe declares unconditional war on Dumpf:

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

His people might construe it as tacit support for towel heads if they aren't mentioned, too.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I've considered voting for him in the past, but given my pledge re: Der Donald, since the conventions I've been on Herself's team (God it pains me to type that). I think his lack of international knowledge is, perhaps, overplayed. However, his cavalier approach to this election -- he has to have known that he was going to draw that fire, and that how he handled that would reflect on both him and those of libertarian sensibilities -- has been awfully disappointing.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Trump would go down to about 10-15%. Most Americans aren't particularly racist and, more to the point, there are many who probably are but don't see themselves as voting for an avowed racist.

My contention is lot of Trump supporters are miserable white people who have no particular beef against black Americans aside from the part where black Americans insist that all white Americans are bathing in racial privilege. But if Trump openly courted vicious racism, they'd be done with him.

Trump's appeal is that he's actually talking the language of white lower-middle/middle-class Americans, and he seems to like them. I've heard many a blustery, three-beers-in union boss who sounds like Donald Trump. I hear it often: He's real. He wears his weaknesses like a nice jacket. He doesn't apologize for them. He represents an America that doesn't hate white working class people. (Even if Trump's policies will do exactly that.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.