1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Golf thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 19, 2016.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Don't get me wrong, I like the Ryder Cup. It's killing me to not be able to watch it live this weekend while I'm working at another sporting event (where streaming on an iPad next to my laptop would likely be frowned upon). But sure, it's way overcooked like every other major event.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"Everything he said about American golf fans is dead nuts on."

Probably. But those same American golf fans and the rich American TV market have made lots of Euro golfers - many of whom also decide to live in the US - rich beyond their wildest dreams.

expendable likes this.
  3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

So people get to be slovenly asses as long as they're enriching others. Cool. Got it. And they better get at it while the gettings good. Every stat points to golf dying in this country.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's not dying, just stopped growing AFTER bunches of courses and golf course-related housing developments were built based on projections of continued growth at the rate of the Tiger Woods' dominance era. Golf takes money, and worse, takes time. Young adults and teens don't have the former and have many different options to spend the latter.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Not justifying assholish behavior at all. Just saying that the US fans, and the TV ratings they fuel that result in high rights fees and astronomical purses, have helped make a lot of Euro golfers very rich.

6. Michael_ Gee

Pairings for foursomes announced. Spieth-Reed vs. Stenson-Rose, Mickelson-Fowler vs. McIlroy-Sullivan, Walker-Z. Johnson vs. Garcia-Kaymer, D. Johnson-Kuchar vs. Westwood-Pieters. No Willett. Guess Clarke wanted to give other guys a shot at shutting up the crowd before he puts Willett out there. Also of note, Reed, the crowd taunter at Gleneagles, went out of his way to urge crowd to give Willett a break in his presser.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

If you hate the Ryder Cup, you might as well say you hate the United States of America.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

very very hard for a rookie to play in foursomes on first morning. Europe about had to do it with Pieters.DL3 sitting rookies Koepka and Moore in morning.

9. Michael_ Gee

US about to sweep the foursomes. This could indeed be a rout. Every one of the eight US guys played well, and some (Reed, DJ) played lights out.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

They ought to throw out (and invalidate his tickets for the rest of the weekend, if he has any) that fucker who yelled at McIlroy while he was lining up that last putt.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Why do you hate America??

doctorquant likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted