1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanks again, AP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Jul 25, 2011.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

That was a glitch that went on for a bit but has maybe has since been fixed. It was just screwed up in the narrow boxes but was right in the "expanded" boxes, where he would be shown to be 37 of 40.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Not sure it's been mentioned, but since when (and why) do they have 20 sets of standings, with 19 of them filled with semicolons instead of tabs?

What's worse is they don't differentiate, so when you want legit Major League Soccer standings, for instance, you have to click on 10 bad ones in a row before you find the right one.

On top of that, what do the agate monkeys do these days, play poker? The WNBA standings didn't list the playoff clinchers until the final. fucking. standings.

MLS still doesn't list the playoff clinchers.

If I have to go to the individual sports sites for my standings, why the fuck do I need AP?

3. HejiraHenry

The two biggest college sports stories in the Southeast this week - Ed Orgeron taking over at LSU and Scott Stricklin leaving Mississippi State for the Florida AD's jpb- and the AP doesn't move fresh art on either. I'm assuming that the AP's unionized writers are forbidden from doing what reporters under any other circumstances would do - whip out the IPhone and take a photo.

If so, then why not make sure member papers sent out fresh at on each?

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about that, HH ... on the news side, plenty of AP stories have lousy podium shots snapped by the writer. Or "building mug shots." You'd think an AP sportswriter could do something similar of Orgeron at his press conference.

My personal favorite is AP using the same damn wolf picture from 1999 on every story since then involving federal protection of wolves. Go to a zoo or something! ;)

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I think I know the one you're talking about. I remember calling AP photo archives to run that photo to accompany stories out of Traverse City from John Flesher. Don't even know if he's still there, but I'm positive the photo is.

6. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

not sure which is worse....that this was actually written or that it got past an editor.

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Nick Ferrer through three touchdown passes to Seth Coate and Saint Francis of Indiana beat previously undefeated Baker of Kansas 38-17 on Saturday night to win the NAIA championship.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

The robot editors don't see a problem.

[​IMG]

gravehunter likes this.
  8. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Damn. My backyard.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

By the end of the New Orleans Bowl on Saturday night, they had moved about 10 pictures on the wire. Since they were from the Lafayette paper, they were all centered on Louisiana-Lafayette. They started moving boatloads of them, it looks like, around 1:30 or 2 a.m. We waiting until almost 12:40 to send our last page (deadline is normally midnight) and they still hadn't sent more than the initial batch from halftime.
    For a game with a lot of (and mostly) regional appeal, would it have killed them to get at least a couple of Southern Miss-oriented action pictures up before the end of the game? Or even to have one of your own damn photographers from the Louisiana or Mississippi AP shooting the game?

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Heads up on the Dec. 26-Jan. 1 TV sked ...

AP has Kansas State and Texas A&M playing on the 27th and 28th in the Cactus and Texas bowls. Boise State and Baylor play in the Cactus Bowl on the 27th.

11. HejiraHenry

I miss the AP's big list of sports deaths organized by month. It was always too much to reasonably wrestle onto one page, but it was fascinating to look at and to edit down based on what I thought our readers might like to see.

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Our company is apparently not renewing its contract with Reuters when it comes up in September (for some good reasons) and is going to be picking up the canned USA Today (sorry, USA TODAY) wire pages. But they haven't figured out what they're going to do for wire photos, sports and agate.

Is there even anything else?

Draft saved Draft deleted