1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tribune-Review retreats from Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Sep 28, 2016.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Journal Review, The Paper of Montgomery County.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I have heard it said that American journalism schools killed off two newspaper towns. That is because post World War II trained jounalists tried to be bipartisan. All the papers in town started to sound somewhat alike and only one survived. If papers had remained organs of different political viewpoint then there would be a conservative and liberal paper in every town.

I know a bunch of people will jump on to complain about liberal bias but American newspapers generally do not carry out as overt political agendas as, for example, the British press. I am from Denver and enjoyed the News and Post. Even when Singleton took over the Post it was hard to detect that much difference in coverage. The editorial page endorsed more Republicans but the news pages were about the same.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Would Philly still count? The Inquirer and Daily News are owned by the same company.

4. Salt Lake City still has two daily newspapers -- the Tribune and the Deseret News.

5. LanceyHoward

I would. Is Philly the only town left where the same publisher prints a morning and afternoon paper? I think everywhere else the afternoon paper was eventually combined with the morning paper. I have long wondered why the various publishers in Philly have kept both papers going.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Trib Total Media still paying for their ad on the dasher boards at Penguins games.

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Yeah, Crawfordsville's an interesting town.

Freedom owned the Journal-Review, and as happens with a lot of small-town dailies, it began REALLY cutting back its coverage (when I was working in Greencastle nearly 20 years ago, they cut their sports staff from 3 back to 2, and the SE - who is one of the best people I've ever met in this biz - resigned rather than be forced to lay off someone).

So, some local business people who felt wronged by the J-R anyway threw some $$ together and started "The Paper of Montgomery County." Daily with a tiny staff, but enough to provide some competition in that town. Rural Indiana is really interesting - a lot of tiny communities where the local paper is the lone source of news and communication, and a culture where things really don't change much (and people still rely on the local paper), as well as a local industry that's willing to sponsor it.

IIRC, "The Paper" purchased a fledgling daily in Noblesville (Indy's north suburbs) after Gannett shut down the Daily Ledger (in favor of a zoned Indy Star edition) and cut it back to a northern Hamilton County paper that doesn't really compete with the zoned Indy Star paper.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Barely. The Sun-Times has been awful for years, but now it's basically worthless.

And, let's not forget Toronto has more than one paper.

9. LanceyHoward

I thought most large Canadian cities had more than one paper. What is the largest Canadian city with only one paper?

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

One English language paper, it'd probably be Montreal.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Canuckistan even has two national dailies, in the Globe and Mail and National Post.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

One might think Tahoe has multiple dailies, but that's because there are so many 15 minutes away.

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted