1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2016-17 college microaggressions/safe spaces thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Aug 25, 2016.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

As I suspected, there was absolutely no official impetus behind the e-mailer's threats:
    No, Clemson University did not ban Harambe

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Props to whichever wealthy IPTAY contributor got filthy rich despite being saddled with the last name Shoeboxes.

3. doctorquant

It's actually a cluster of boxy dorms -- hence the nickname -- just east of and up the hill from the football stadium.

[​IMG]

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I guess the architect was paid minimum wage.

5. doctorquant

My wife's the architect in the family (and I'll definitely ask her about it), but I suspect that when they were designed/built (early-/mid-1960s) they were very much the style. I think that style was called, believe it or not, "brutalist."

YankeeFan and Ace like this.
  6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

There are a lot of otherwise beautiful campuses around the country that have some real eyesores built in that era.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

10 Icons of Brutalist Architecture

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yep, there a number of 1960s-era dorms at Microville Tech, an Eastern-looking campus (designed by Olmsted Bros., lots of quads, green space, brick buildings) on the West Coast, that look like Russian 5-year plan apartment buildings. They have done some renovations to alter the look a little bit but they are still ugly.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  9. doctorquant

OK, so MommaQuant says "brutalist" is iffy but "modern" -- and "in style at the time" -- are locks. She tried to explain why, but I guess I had the same look she gets when I try to explain "degrees of freedom," so she gave up.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

11. doctorquant

Nothin' but trouble comes out of MU ...

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted