1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB awards thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Either Hendricks or Lester is OK by me. Scherzer's been excellent, but I'd view that as a stretch.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Good point. Hendricks has a fine K-rate. Sure, it isn't on a level with Kershaw or Scherzer, but it is still very good.

I also agree with you that innings pitched should be a factor. It does matter than Scherzer and Bumgarner have given their teams more innings this season. The amount of weight you put on that is subjective. I think Hendricks should win the award, but I can see the argument for others.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Sale was good last night. Verlander was even better.

4. Dick Whitman

I think it's Verlander in the A.L. right now. I know that Porcello has all those sweet, sweet wins pitching for the best hitting team in the league, but Verlander has the same ERA, virtually the same IPs, and about 60 more strikeouts.

1. Verlander
    2. Sale
    3. Kluber
    4. Porcello

Easily flip Sale and Kluber, also.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Man, you are a single-issue voter.

Verlander isn't better than Porcello in anything but strikeouts, which is more than negated by issuing twice as many walks. Porcello better in FIP and ERA+, largely because he has allowed substantially fewer home runs despite pitching in a much more hitter-friendly park.

6. Dick Whitman

Yeah, I see that the SO/BB really favors Porcello by a longshot. Geez, maybe he is going to win it.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Even in the post-WINS!!! era, 23-4 would be incredibly difficult to ignore when all other factors are a coin flip.

One thing about Porcello is there have been no blow-up starts -- the other guys all have a few where they got an early hook after giving up 5+ runs.

8. Dick Whitman

But why?

9. Michael_ Gee

I second the mentioning of Porcello's K/BB ratio, which has been the secret of his success. As for the wins mattering, it isn't just the wins, it's the low number of losses. When he takes the mound, the Sox are much more likely than not to be leading after a minimum of five and more likely six or seven innings. That's what the starter is for. The innings requirement is what gives wins statistical validity. It's not the most important stat, no one really thinks that any more, but when comparing seasons of excellence, it's a point in a pitcher's favor.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  10. Dick Whitman

Why not just look at their innings?

11. Michael_ Gee

Wins are a shorthand measurement for innings pitched with a lead or when game was close.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Because winners win, and he wins.

Draft saved Draft deleted