1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'The death of the telephone call'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We have no landline. When we had the house built about nine years ago, we just didn't have service connected. We figured we didn't need it.

On the downside, we have never been able to use On Demand with our DirecTV, which requires a phone connection.

All of Internet access at home - devices and computers - is dependent on our cell/hotspot. In the first few years, this resulted in some very spotty service, and for the past several years we are constantly battling our data limit.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

We use our wifi

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

And where's the wifi coming from?

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Fiberoptics. Sorry, sounds like you don't have that.

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Buck's Place

[​IMG]

6. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

My second office has an old school landline. This is what type of phone I have on my desk.

[​IMG]

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oooooh ... so do I. And if someone leaves me a voice mail, it takes seven (really) steps to hear the friggin' thing.

8. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I still do some general journalism and some of my stories have a week or so lead-time. I've been wondering what would happen if, instead of calling or e-mailing people I want to talk to, I wrote them a letter.

Not because I didn't have their number but just for the sheer experiment of it. Plus, as even more passive-aggressive as it would be, you can't send telegrams anymore.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I write letters all the time (surprise, surprise).

The fun part: even though they go out to friends and family, who know me and my dinosaur ways, people are flummoxed about responding.

Email, phone calls are great, but one former colleague swore she would reply in kind, with a handwritten note (I had mailed her a quick note with a current copy of our shop's paper, so she could have a good laugh). She had to use stationary from her aunt and "borrow" an envelope from work, because she didn't have a blank envelope in her home.

"The few things I mail anymore come with reply envelopes enclosed," she told ... er, wrote me.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's a line coming in from your phone company. That's what we didn't have done when we built the house.
    My house is in the foot hills of a mountain range, but there's phone service. We've could've gotten a phone line, but when we were building the house we mistakenly thought we wouldn't need it.

We had satellite, cell phones, and the volume of streamable video of interest just wasn't that high nine years ago.
    The cell phone/hotspot was enough for running our Internet needs.
    Over time, the amount of data we use has grown, even though the number of data users has stayed the same.

Draft saved Draft deleted