1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'The death of the telephone call'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 26, 2016.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Back in the 60s and 70s, there really weren't a lot of telemarketer calls. When the phone rang, people in the house raced to answer it. Can't even imagine that now.

Ace likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Completely agree. We still have our landline out of lethargy, but only give cell numbers to people we know. I use it for my increasingly infrequent freelance gigs because it's more comfortable for typing as I listen.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Would hate to see the All The President's Men version with Woodstein texting everything.

We'd miss the whole "I have a wife and a family and a dog and a cat" thing.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    I Should Coco likes this.
  4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Finally got a smartphone last month, never use it to talk unless I urgently need to make a call, but the texting thing is a pretty easy way to keep in touch, easier to do at work than using FB messenger

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Off subject, but wish I could figure out how to use the Google GPS in my phone without having the battery drain so damn quickly.

Entered D.C. last week with about 69 percent of battery, turned on the GPS (while phone was connected to charger in the car), and by the time we got to the Embassy I was down to 13 percent (yes, it was fucking morning rush hour, and that sure slowed things down). Turned it off for the rest of the day. Turned it back on for a 25-minute drive to the hotel. It died five minutes before we reached the hotel.

Even though it was supposedly being "charged" the whole time.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

JR was quite impressed that you had joined the modern age. :)

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

How to avoid telemarketer calls:
    1) never give out your real number except to those entities that really need it, for example your bank or your doctor
    2) make that fake number one you can remember, and use it every time
    3) never give your number to someone collecting them for the newest edition of the phone book
    4) see 1 and 3

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I know, a man older than water thinks I am behind the times. I feel shame!

HC likes this.
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

We got rid of our land line a couple years ago, but we still use that number for our supermarket club number, log in at the gym, and anytime I need to give a number out.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What did Fred Couples say once when someone asked why he didn't answer his phone?
    "Because there's always someone on the other end who wants to talk."

I got a landline because TV/Internet was cheaper with the "Triple Play." Never use it. For a guy who talks way too damn much, I've gotten to where I prefer texting. Though I hate texting with people who don't use real, complete words. U, ur, b4, all that shit, drives me right up a wall. My kids send me emojis to see if I can figure them out. Also drives me nuts. Periodically, one will text "sammich" and nothing more because they know that word makes me want to explode. My daughter texted me a gif of the Cheese-It commercial and I did laugh at that.

New duties at work and a new crew under my leadership. I had more minutes last month (almost 700) than I had the previous year.

Dig: Texting, email
    Necessary evil: the phone
    Not a fan: gchat, Messenger
    Hate: bad phone manners. I'd go off on my kids about this and they made sure their friends knew I was an asshole before they ever called the house.

Hello?
    Is Courtney there?
    Yes (click).
    How about, "Hi Mr. Harris, this is (name), may I please speak to Courtney?" Of course, hold on while I go get her.
    Ain't that hard.

The post above about racing to answer the phone in the old days is so spot on. I'm the youngest of six. It was one of my life's missions to get to that phone first. I usually failed

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Tit+Wringer=KateGraham #Followthe$$$"

Draft saved Draft deleted