1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, it might wind up getting the law changed in that regard. I don't know how much of a "fine mess" it would be. The rule is the rule. That's why there's so much focus on swing states in the first place.

2. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Trump can't do any worse than JFK who almost got us obliterated by The Russians and
    then got us into an unwinnable war that resulted in 58,000 young Americans getting killed.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

However, one of Trump's greatest talents is making boastful assurances that sound not only like he knows what he is talking about, but that he has it all figured out and taken care of. Seems like 46 percent or so of the populace buy into this.

Or they just want the government to implode.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Shottie, he'd have been elected by the rules. That's not my point. He'd take office as a President promising radical changes whose policies had been rejected, albeit narrowly, by most voters. That would be tightrope walking without a net for the most skilled and experienced of pols. Bush 43 took office basically having promised a big tax cut and not much else. Even so, his popular standing was eroding until 9/11 came along. Neither candidate would take office with any kind of honeymoon period, but Trump would face the challenge of carrying out divisive policies with easy-to-see real world results.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've posted about this before. He has spent three-plus decades carefully curating an image as a guy who "gets things done." People watched him for a decade host a television show in which he "gets things done." His name is on dozens of products. Because he "gets things done."

He has essentially inoculated himself against having to know about stuff. People simply trust, at this point, that he "gets things done."

There's also an element of political fan fiction to this. People think it's cool to have a chance to do something kind of off the wall here.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like some people I think would be lousy presidents.

Politicians tend to like rich folks, for some reason.

I disagree on Hillary having few actual accomplishments. I think she has one of the best resumes of any presidential candidate. What did Abe Lincoln actually do before being elected president?

7. Michael_ Gee

I like me, but I know I'd be a terrible President. The truism that anyone can grow up to be President has somehow morphed into "anybody can be President" for a lot of people.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Proving Idiocracy was a documentary from the future and not a comedy, Trump is going to win. And, hopefully, the backlash to his stupidity and the morons who elected him will be a rebirth of the GOP with an emphasis on intellectualism rather than Deplorableism.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I do think it's funny that you often hear people say if Trump is "qualified" to be president. What are the qualifications? That you be born in America and at least 35 years old? So, yeah, he's probably qualified.

Now, is he suited to be president? I say not so much.

10. Michael_ Gee

Trump is running on a platform pretty much promising to make social tensions and conflict in this country worse. In my experience, most people do not like social conflict. They want to get along with each other if they can. He will be blamed for those tensions if elected. Presidents get the blame for everything. Remember that study where incumbents suffered in polling due to bad weather?

11. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

That's a really great point.

Now let's talk about Barrack Obama, born in Kenya and at best a Muslim sympathizer but possibly a secret Muslim, who wants to destroy America because he hates it.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, I hear the government is controlling the weather these days. So ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.