1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB awards thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 22, 2016.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It's arbitrary, but those kind of numbers are a fun part of baseball. I loved seeing Soriano go 40-40 in 2006.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't independently know how accurate defensive WAR is in assessing relative performance, but Betts is at 2.6 this year and Trout is 1.0.

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Wrong.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I understand what you are saying and it's not about Trout over Betts for me. I hate the thought process that an individual award is decided by teammates and competent management. I think in baseball, it is safe enough to say that if the player having the best season switched teams with the "most valuable" the results would be the same if not better for the contending team.

Betts is a fine candidate on his play alone, the team around him doesn't need to come into play.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Trout's going to make a great 30 for 30 one day -- the Hall of Famer who never won MVP.

6. Songbird

Gonna be the 3rd time he coulda-shoulda but didn't.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He won one.

8. Songbird

He did? Damn, he's been in the league forever. I thought Miggy won back to back and then Donaldson.

Guess he won before Donaldson.

9. Songbird

Well, he's still going to the Hall of Fame. Rookie of the Year, MVP, 3 seconds (gonna be a 4th) and he's still only 25.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Players who put up the same numbers with some adjustments for context (ballpark, position) provide the same value. Whether the team is good or bad depends on the value teammates provide.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

#Lazy #Liar

I get it. I keep rhetorically kicking your ass, so you find a lazy response to cover for your latest failure, but it really doesn't add anything. You are whining about something that has been, should be and will continue to be part of the criteria in MVP voting. And you do support other unfair practices in baseball, so it is hypocritical of you to argue based on fairness now.

Cue another lazy, dishonest response from JC designed to cover for his inability to construct an argument that can stand on its merits.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Kicking my ass, that's priceless. My argument is fine. You are a moron and everybody here knows it.

Now fuck off, nobody wants to interact with you.

Here you go OOP, go find a friend. God knows you could use one.

Friendship Site United States Female Penpals Male Pen Pal Friends

Draft saved Draft deleted