1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You're right. It's close. Long way to go yet. I (and Nate Silver) think all our political clocks were thrown off by the conventions being in July instead of August. Also, Nov. 8 is the latest possible Election Day. So I expect a few more twists and turns. It's hard to forecast an election where "None of the Above" would win a plurality.
    PS: Interesting how the national polls taken during last week (NBC, McClatchy, AP) showed a reasonable Clinton lead while the ones taken later including the weekend show a basic tie. More evidence for my theory the decisive bloc of voters are still rejecting both candidates.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

None of it will matter. He could take a giant shit on the middle of the stage and smear it all over Hillary and he won't lose a bit of support.

dixiehack likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The conventional wisdom early on -- and not just about Trump, but about any potential Republican nominee -- was that they would have trouble flipping any state that Romney did not win.

So far, it looks like Trump will flip Ohio and Iowa (and Maine's 2nd congressional district, which is good for one electoral vote).

Florida is most likely going to Trump.

And he's got real chances to win Nevada, Colorado, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, and even Maine.

The "Trump/republican will need to run the table of swing states" conventional wisdom is dead. He now has multiple paths to 270, and Clinton is the one who must hold several can't lose states.

I think it's also clear that no other Republican would be running this strong, this cycle.

4. Michael_ Gee

Palin dealt with the debate by refusing to answer the moderator's (Gwen Ifill) questions at all and just reciting talking points.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think he may win a landslide. But he has to survive tonight.

6. YankeeFan

If Trump takes a crap onstage, it will surely be the biggest crap ever.

[​IMG]

HanSenSE and Big Circus like this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Many unproven assertions here, but the last one is the most unproven. All available political science models BEFORE nominees were known showed a close race with a slight Republican edge. This one is closer to generic than is thought.
    PS: Was in Ohio in the Youngstown area for a wedding this weekend. Saw one Clinton yard sign, saw one Trump yard sign. That was it.

8. YankeeFan

Which is the way to go.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I have observed that there is a real human instinct to not put people on the spot and embarrass them by exposing them. She benefited from that, as has Trump.

10. YankeeFan

Yep. The "winner" of tonight's debate will vault to a several point lead.

If it's Trump, he will have "normalized" himself, and will reach new highs in the polls.

He'll be tough to beat.

If he gets embarrassed, he may not be able to recover.

11. YankeeFan

Right now, Mark Halperin, on Morning Joe, is trying to nail down Kellyanne Conway regarding Trump saying that Lester Holt is a democrat.

It's hysterical. This is what crossed the line for you, and you need to get to the bottom of?

12. Michael_ Gee

I have no idea who will "win" the debate in the sense of perceptions. Trump's very best strategy would be to assume at least some fake humility and acknowledge being President is a hard job where success is often partial at best. Can he do that? I dunno. Can Clinton come off as sincerely in touch with voter concerns. I also dunno.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.