1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gutter, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

After watching Raw on my DVR, I can't DELETE! DELETE! DELETE! the show fast enough.

My underlying issue with the show is the repeated references to ratings ... "Why is Raw fighting for survival? Ratings war? What's at stake?" No matter what it is, the fans don't give a shit.

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Its basically the same story as NXT minus Becky.....they contenders have a series of matches in which no real dominant winner can be declared, so Regal decides to do a fatal fourway. It works better with Regal than with Foley but its not really different or worse.

The rest of what you posted, spot on. And for the life of me I don't understand why they didn't solve the HHH thing ovet the last three RAWs, waiting till this ppv is only going to frustrate fans that want a decent ending.

You have two of the most talented performers in the world in KO and Rollins and a prize to feud over in the universal title. Get out of the way, let them do their thing and watch the magic happen.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's one thing that I've found annoying. Storyline-wise, why should I care if Smackdown is a better show than Raw or vice-versa?

There's also way too much Steph and Foley. Do one segment and get out of everyone's way.

4. Baron Scicluna

Pretty good PPV in which everyone worked hard. Main event ending was a bit of a clusterfuck with the ref bump. I also kept expecting a Trips sighting, which didn't happen.

I'm wondering what they do with Cesaro and Sheamus. Match 8?

5. JimmyHoward33

C+.

Nothing advanced, story wise, in any of the feuds. Might make for a better Raw since what comes next isnt telegraphed/obvious but for a PPV it was pretty lackluster/skippable.

6. Baron Scicluna

Now that I think of it, the best part of the PPV was the video game commercial of Suplex City with Petula Clark''s "Downtown" as the theme. That was great.

7. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I love T.J. Perkins' music. But clueless commentators who doesn't sound as invested in the story between him and Kendrick took the experience of the match down a few notches. Shoulda let the CWs go to SmackDown.

So Roman overcomes the odds of being a major dick to spoil someone's wedding reception to win a title. This is Twilight Zone shit.

I love Charlotte.

Another ref bump? That's one for this show, one at Backlash, at least one back in July during the Rollins/Ambrose title match before Battleground... maybe one more? At SummerSlam? These poor refs.

Triple H not showing says that his insertion into the title picture is looking useless so far. I understand that the belt had to be hotshotted with Balor out, but why not let KO win clean then? All interference did was set up a story they don't seem to know what to do with yet, a month later. He doesn't have to be on every week but needs to make occasional appearances or the story goes a little cold, to me anyway.

8. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Podcast update

Austin: Hit and miss on guests while filming a reality show.

Ross: Don't care about who he's had on, but maybe you're deeper into the indie sceen than I am.

Jericho: Good guests, more musical than wrestling. Meat Loaf.

Rosenberg: Needs to find a regular No. 2. I can't keep his rotating cast straight. But he's great for real rasslin talk.

Cheap Heat: The new guy phones it in from Bristol. What? .....IT. Has added a little, but he's an ESPN guy so he won't be too critical while the WWL is in bed with the WWE. Thank bah gawd that fucking Rosenberg has stopped his shitty Trump impersonation. No one found it funny. They had Becky on recently. Rosenberg, who talks more than listens, stuck his foot in his mouth when asking Becky to comment on how phat Charlotte's nice booty has gotten in the last year. Jesus Christ, man. I know it's nice. I go on a subreddit full of pictures of the women, and her badonkadonk is well revered. I would marry Charlotte's butt, divorce it and pay it alimony. But fookin 'ell, mate. Don't ask her BFF shit like that in a public interview or in private.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  9. JimmyHoward33

Charlotte was incredible in that match.....talk about a dominant force. Wow.

Most disappointing thing about the PPV is HHH continuing to loom. He's showing up at some point and he's fighting Rollins. Can we get it over with? (And Hell in a Cell seems like a fine place to do it too).

Sam Roberts has the best podcast on the Internet. It's not really close, even though I still listen to Shoemaker's semi-regularly. Haven't listened to Cheap Heat in months and from Bradley's report, I am very glad that I haven't.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I am just finishing up his podcast with Nita Strauss, Alice Cooper's current guitarist, and it was very good. Cool chick, and even her shop talk was made interesting for a non-musician like me. Working on his reality show or not, Austin's guests are usually hit and miss for me. If it's one with one of his ranch hands, I pass, and other non-wrestling ones I take on a case-by-case basis.

Jericho is still my favorite. Even the non-wrestling ones have some sort of interest to me.

Recently starting downloading the Roberts' podcasts. He's a great interviewer, although the segments after, talking about the recent week in wrestling, can drag a bit.

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Just saw the Owens-Rollins match again on replay, and one thing I did really like was Owens' running commentary throughout the match. I especially liked early on when he had Rollins in a headlock and said "When I get through with you, you're gonna fade to black. You get it?" Nice in-joke between two ROH alums.

KYSportsWriter likes this.
  12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I caught that last night. Very good stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted