1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jose Fernandez

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Drunken driving is drunken driving, no?

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That's seems to be the authorities' take ... As I understand it (and keep in mind I'm getting this third-hand at best) there's some doubt as to who was actually driving.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I would be more frightened to be on a boat where drinking was going on than in a car with an impaired driver.
    And I have been on a pontoon where a few beers were flowing, and there was no excuse for it.
    I was on a fishing trip with my brother a few years ago, and he flat out asked a third guy to leave his six-pack at the dock.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Alcohol also affects the body much differently on water than on land, because of motion and equilibrium and such. This is especially true if you're in the sun.

Unexpected Impact: The Effects of Alcohol and Drugs During Boating

Even the two-beer maximum to drive home is a bad idea on a boat. Also on a boat, passengers put themselves at risk if they don't have their wits about them.

6. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

I live only a few miles from the coast -- albeit about 35 miles north of where the accident occurred -- and there was a lot of thunder and lightning to the east from midnight on. It wasn't a good night to be on the water under any circumstances.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

We had a guy around here a year or two ago -- a defense attorney whose boat is called "Naut Guilty" -- cruising the harbor while enjoying some pops. Underage girl (who also was drunk) falls overboard, someone else turns on the engine and her arm was gone.

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Loved watching this kid pitch. Can't believe he's gone. Life can be cruel to anyone.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It shows you how much of a regional sport that baseball has become that this story doesn't seem to have gotten much traction nationally. (Part of that, of course, is that Arnold Palmer bumped the story from the front pages late last evening.) My son is 7 and a pretty big baseball fan, but he hadn't heard of him. There's no way at 7 that I would not have heard of, say, Dwight Gooden, mostly through baseball cards. Sean Taylor's death was news for days, weeks even.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Doesn't help that he played for the worst franchise in baseball, whose national profile is pretty limited. Gooden played in NYC for a great and exciting team with young stars and established vets.

12. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I hear you. When I was a kid, say starting at age nine, I went virtually nowhere without the Street & Smith annual on my person. Knew it inside out. I could have given you the fifth starter on any team in baseball. Now, my nine year old, who loves baseball as much as I did, can give you the Blue Jays starting nine but not a hell of a lot else from around the league.

Draft saved Draft deleted