1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ron Drogo, (spnited), RIP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Screen shot 2016-08-22 at 3.59.20 PM.png

Chris Pedota came into the gallery today. We got to talking and he said he's a staff photog at the Bergen Record. I asked if he knew Ron. Of course!

"Ron was always calm on deadline and never panicked and kept everyone calm," Chris said. "He was great. Ron was a receptive, nice guy. He was a nice throwback of a guy."

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Nice bump. And in looking back a few pages on this thread, it's eerie that the guy who started this thread and bumped it up a few times is Frank_Ridgeway (Craig Schmidt) who also is now no longer with us.

Vombatus likes this.
  3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Frank Ridgeway could bring some A-game heat. What a tribute to his friend. What a loss, both. All.
    I hope the beers are cold, the wings are hot and the senoritas even hotter in the great beyond.
    These men have earned it.

Vombatus likes this.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And this in the week when I wanted to scream "Nobody cares about your fantasy team" every time someone I follow tweeted how his/her draft was going.

Earthman, Vombatus and expendable like this.
  5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Even worse, I increasingly find myself screaming "we are the story tellers, not the story."

murphyc and Vombatus like this.
  6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call that "even worse". That's far better advice than anything regarding fantasy sports.

I came onboard after spnited, but RIP Ron. Everything I have read here over the years is highly respectful. You were a helluva guy, and I wish we would have met. May you be enjoying sports and sj from above.

7. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

And the shoes are Allen Edmonds

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Ron took me in as a ward of the Jersey SJ mafia as we shared tribal roots. I am thankful for that.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

As Vombatus noted, that isn't a bad thing at all. I have lost count of how many times I said that to others or to myself over the years and I am grateful to Ron every time it crosses my mind.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

No, no. I'm saying I wish I didn't have to say it.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh, I see what you mean. That makes perfect sense.

expendable likes this.
  12. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Don't mean to thread jack, but are there still meet-ups or a yearly SJ.com get-together? I'd love to get to meet newspaper people and SJ.com peeps!

Draft saved Draft deleted