1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

So does Cherington get any credit for this Red Sox team that clinched a playoff berth?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Just like the political threads, your lies do not make it so, tony.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You're such an idiot, I'm sure their precious closer would have them 10 games over 500.

What they did in the summer is irrelevant to my argument.

Wrong.

old_tony likes this.
  4. outofplace

Keep relying on that crutch of name-calling, a sure sign that even you know your argument cannot stand on merit.

What they did in the summer is relevant to my argument, but it is also relevant to yours, even if you can't see it. The Pirates cut costs in the offseason, so they should have been better able to spend for help at the deadline. They chose not to do so, selling off a key part of the team rather than adding the help they needed to make a run.

I doubt six weeks of any closer would improve a team's record by 10 games, but four games over .500 would have had the Pirates in a wild card spot heading into today's games, so the first part of your statement is yet another misleading and failing argument on your part.

Thing is, this was never just about Melancon. You and others keep trying to restrict it to only that one move because it serves your argument and you apparently don't care about being honest.The Pirates should have kept him and added help at the deadline.

The Pirates were clearly a contender heading into the offseason, but the cost-cutting moves before the season weakened the roster considerably. They were still contenders as the deadline approach, but it would have taken spending money to add the help they needed. The Pirates once again too the cheap route and it likely cost them a playoff berth.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

In other news, the O's won tonight and Miley got the win.

And Trey Mancini. Remember that name.

Cosmo likes this.
  6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Wrong.

old_tony likes this.
  7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Ramirez, Porcello, and Benintendi are his pickups. Don't agree with the Porcello contract, but whatever.

The biggest contribution was not trading the young players.

8. outofplace

#lazy #liar

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Since being down 10-0 to the Phillies yesterday, the Mets have outscored them 25-0, including 17-0 today.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This whole day sucks. I tried to flip on a game. Didn't have the heart. Life goes on, but tomorrow.

12. outofplace

Nationals rally for five runs in the eighth inning off Felipe Rivero, the major leaguer they sent to the Pirates in the Melancon deal. Melancon slams the door for Washington in a 10-7 victory.

I'm sure somebody will decide that one had nothing to do with the trade, either. Pittsburgh is done, one game under .500 and four under since they waved the white flag while in contention.

Draft saved Draft deleted