1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB awards thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 22, 2016.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think you are being swayed by factors that should not be in consideration. It does not matter that Murphy's signing with the Nats also hurt the Mets. And let's be clear. Murphy wasn't this good with the Mets during the regular season in 2015.

Also, it doesn't really matter that his team is defying some expectations. Tell people that the Mets would have the pitching issues they've had this year and yes, I do think most would have predicted that the Nationals would win the NL East.

So then we get to value. Yes, Bryant plays for a better team and if you want to compare the second-best hitter on each team, Rizzo has outplayed Harper this season. But both are on winning teams, so I think it is really going to come down to which player was better. It often is most outstanding player, especially if both are on playoff teams.

In that area, it gets very close. Murphy has the higher OPS. Bryant has a big edge in home runs. Both have played multiple positions. I would lean toward Bryant, but either would be fine. There is also a little more time for those numbers to change.

I do agree with you regarding Turner. He has been a beast. I'm not at all surprised by the high batting average and speed, but he has shown more power than I expected. The pace he is on would put him at or over 20 home runs for a full season. Maybe I didn't fully understand his skill set coming up.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Turner has two home runs today, through five innings.

3. outofplace

Just saw that. I don't think he can take the NL Rookie of the Year Award from Seager, but damn.

Edit: No home run in the seventh, but he did get another hit and his 27th stolen base.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Porcello gets the WIN!!!!!!!!!!! 21-4

Huge 89-pitch CG against Baltimore that just about salted away the division title. He's now third in AL in ERA (Tanaka 2.97, Sale 3.03, Porcello 3.08), second in ERA+ (to Kluber) and fifth in FIP.

Everyone is lined up for two more starts, but I think he's the narrow leader.

5. outofplace

No Britton?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

And down goes Sale!

7. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Tanaka just gave up 4 hrs in an inning

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Porcello guts out six innings (3 ER), then inspires Pedroia to hit a go-ahead grand slam in the top of the seventh and improves to 22-4.

One start left. 23-4 with an ERA close to the league lead would be hard to ignore.

9. Dick Whitman

He's going to win it.

10. outofplace

Possibly, but the season isn't over yet. If it is going to be one of the starting pitchers, Kluber, Sale and Verlander all have the flashy strikeout totals that Porcello lacks. There are probably still a few voters who put too much stock in wins and they will go with Porcello, but all four are fairly close. Maybe some voters decide they are all too close and go with Britton.

In the National League, Kyle Hendricks is scheduled to make his final start of the regular season Monday in Pittsburgh, so there is one more chance for that supposedly inevitable meltdown he was supposed to have. As it is, the 2.06 ERA is tough to ignore, though I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Scherzer or Bumgarner get the award instead.

11. Dick Whitman

Or Lester.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The NL question is going to be -- how many spots on ballots will Kershaw take up? That will end up deciding who wins.

Draft saved Draft deleted