1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kaepernick sits out the anthem

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Aug 27, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He has been extremely dickish to media for years. His press conference word count Sunday night have exceeded his total for 2013 and 2014 combined. That's obviously a strange issue that involves a lot of whining self-important sportswriters, but even fans started to wonder what his problem was.

As for the front-office stuff, his reputation was collateral damage of the 49ers-Harbaugh feud, because the team needed someone besides the owner and GM to blame for the collapse. And the 49ers' front office has become legendary for talking shit about people in private and with no accountability. Last year's games were a never-ending parade of nuggets fed to broadcasters about his work ethic or attitude.

Double Down likes this.
  2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Such opposition is not always a bad thing. I'm simply pointing out that in attempt to block one country's interest we were acting in conjunction with other countries' interests.

There are always consequences, both anticipated and unanticipated. It is simply to MMQB and say that are backing of the mujahideen would obviously lead to a group of radicalized students eventually seizing power.

Hindsight is 20-20, and there would have been unanticipated consequences of working in conjunction with the Soviets, whether we did that actively or passively. We'll just never what those consequences might have been.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Seems like a basic business move where the shield thinks he's hurting the bottom line. What is the demographic makeup of the overall NFL fanbase? Mostly conservative I'd think and of course overwhelmingly white. What percentage of them aren't pleased by kaepernicks stance? I haven't seen any national polls as yet of people who call themselves fans, but I'm willing to bet that 60 percent or higher aren't cool with it. He's not Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers, so why would they want to put up with the headache? Of course it'd have been more interesting to see this happening when he was the next big thing.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Villains sell.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The last six grafs of that piece were...bad. It goes from straight reporting to a kind of sermonizing that imagines a Turlockian "fondue" on Kaepernick being washed off. Or something.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And I was just saying to myself "This story really needs another story about people whose feelings are hurt."

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

In the WWE, yes; when it's the iron sheik and Nikolai Volkov. The NFL wont package and sell kaep as a villain. They'll just blackball him

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am just thinking about the potential shitstorm with him sitting tonight during Military Honors Night at Qualcomm..

Then I think about how Chip is the micromanageriest of micromanagers - wasn't he the guy testing the player's pee - not for drugs, but just to find the slightest edge in performance?

This must be driving Chip nuts.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Will Colin sit out the next National Anthem in order to protest this clear violation of the First Amendment? I'll join him if he does.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted