1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DocTalk

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DocTalk, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Joakim.

2. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Thanks. I remind myself that a good editor is worth their weight in gold.

3. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

It's been awhile...and there is an explanation for my laziness. Suffice it to say, that between seeing patients in the ER, writing for WebMD, and speaking tours, the website has been neglected. That said, a graphic update is in the works and today marks the return of weekly columns (I hope).

This week we're talking about tib fib fractures, with french gymnast Samir Ait Said reprising the role of Joe Theismann
    agony of defeat...tib fib fractures - MD direct

4. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Carson Wentz breaks a rib and is out indefinitely? Probably 4-6 weeks like most people who have similar injuries. But why does he need a CT of his chest. Spoiler alert... he doesn't. This week's column:

imaging rib injuries: CT...really?...not - MD direct

5. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Injuries this NFL preseason are a reminder that it is a violent sport and pain is an expectation. In the real world, pain is something to be avoided and treated. The rules are changing though and narcotic prescription may be harder to come by.

narcotics role is changing - MD direct

6. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Doc, do you have any experience with Cauda Equina Syndrome?

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

This was good information. Thanks.
    Appreciated this insight:
    This is not an injury that always gets better, even with the best of care. The prognosis for a “normal” knee, one which is stable and without pain happens about 60-70% of the time, 20% will have reasonable function and the last 20% will have a chronically painful, unstable knee.

9. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Not a common complication of back injury or disease but common enough to always warrant investigation.

Most common symptoms is urinary retention. The question always becomes whether the inability to urinate is because of spinal cord issues or because there is too much pain to relax the sphincter to allow the bladder to empty.

MRI is test of choice and index of caudal equine has to be high. Failure to fix the underlying problem may lead to permanent paraplegia.

Vombatus likes this.
  10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

That's exactly what a friend of mine is going through right now. He had emergency surgery two Fridays ago. I hope he gets some functions back - currently catheterized and walking with a walker with numbness in one leg.

He has a very high tolerance for pain, and had back issues for a long time. None of us (his family, our rec league team) had ever heard of CES. Absolutely shocking to have his world get turned upside down and now start facing a "new normal".

For me, it was a reminder that pain signals should be looked at in this day of modern medicine. I no longer think of back pain as just simple back pain and getting old.

Absolutely scary. My friend says he's basically survived a car accident, without being in a car accident. Devastating.

Thanks for the reply, DocTalk!

11. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

12. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted