1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kaepernick sits out the anthem

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Aug 27, 2016.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

People take their patriotism very personally; it's more guided by emotion than rational thinking, and so I think that helps explain why this issue shortcuts so quickly to the personal. It's kind of amazing the wide range of people who have chimed in on this. Soon enough there will be another mass shooting and we can shift from doing nothing about this issue to doing nothing about guns.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's also because people have no idea how to argue. There is a PhD I'm Facebook friends with, and whenever he posts a Deadspin link, which is often, I remind him that they peddle plagiarism. Like clockwork, he accuses me of hating Deadspin because they scooped my friends five years ago in something. This is a guy who is smarter than me, I'm guessing. But right away, the short circuit is to an ad hominem return salvo.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Shut up, Dick. You don't know what you're talking about.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

More like: Colin Kaepernick's act doesn't rise to his cause.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Now this is a protest.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Kaepernick has strangled his own career for two years, does that count?

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Interesting to me how veterans became somehow central to the issue. He isn't protesting anything to do with the military and I don't automatically associate the flag with the military. I associate it with the country as a whole, of which the military is but a part. But people automatically assume he's being disrespectful to veterans by not standing up for the national anthem.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I support her right to burn herself up in a fire, but I think she was really stupid to do so.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Well if she lights herself on fire, that is OK. But if someone else's office burns as a result, that is usually called arson.

old_tony likes this.
  12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Where did you get your law degree, Mr. Smarty Pants?

old_tony, Dick Whitman and cjericho like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted