1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2016 Week 1 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 29, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You mean like Florida ('08) and Auburn ('10)?

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Oh, well if that's the credential, then allow me to say you're full of shit instead. #RMFT

LongTimeListener likes this.
  3. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Oft-aggrieved LSU fans want to know where their '07 title is, never mind '03. And I guess we should toss Florida '06 into the mix. If you're counting at home (and Rubber Soul obviously isn't), that's four different SEC schools with a title in the last decade.

Also, LSU fans are just as angry as Rubber Soul about how few times Bama has played Georgia recently. Steak can correct any particulars I get wrong, but the way LSU fans tell it, Bama was scheduled to go on a two-year home-and-home vs. Georgia on the old SEC schedule when A&M and Mizzou joined the league. The SEC was so unable to figure things out that it then unveiled not one but two years of "bridge" schedules, each of which magically replaced Georgia on Bama's slate with Kentucky or somesuch. Conspiracy theorists have had a field day.

Of course when Bama finally had to play Georgia last year, they smoked them again, so there's that.

4. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

If you can argue why the SEC's path-of-least-resistance is fair (while the Pac-12 and Big Ten play nine conference games and don't take November breaks against FCS foes), I'm all ears.

5. LongTimeListener

I'm sure you would get very excited if the SEC teams all knocked themselves out of the championship race and the Big Ten and Pac-12 didn't have to keep running into them. Beating them on the field appears to be too tall an order in most cases.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Can't speak for the Big Ten but the Pac-12 has more than held its own with the SEC over the past decade in head-to-heads.

7. LongTimeListener

I'm talking about the championship race that has RubberSoul all hot and bothered. I really don't know why, though; it's a fairly simple thing, win your conference with one loss and you're in. The intersectional finger-pointing is a hot take of the past.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I agree with LTL. The problem is they have five conferences and four spots. That's why I believe it'll be eight spots before the presidential election after this one. The current setup is bad for the grift.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

One reason SEC teams schedule 1-AA schools, for better or worse, is because they can get away with it at the gate. Schools out west don't have the same ride or die following and have to actually put on games worth seeing.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter how you start ...

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"it's a fairly simple thing, win your conference with one loss and you're in."

Unless you are Baylor or TCU.

12. LongTimeListener

Eh, no sympathy whatsoever there. They play nobody.

Draft saved Draft deleted