1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It was 50 years ago today

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Springsteen did a four hour show recently.

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The Sun King/Polythene Pam/She Came In Through the Bathroom Window medley should be awesome

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

How could they play live a lot of the stuff released after 1966?

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Just play it different than it is on the studio album. Use guitars. It's all chords anyway. The Beastie Boys had concerts, right? The Beach Boys had concerts, right?

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I saw the Fab Faux, a tribute band made up of musicians from some of the late night talk show house bands, play Abbey Road a few years ago. It was amazing how close they came to replicating the sound of the album in a live show.

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Did the Beach Boys play the heavily produced Pet Sounds stuff in the Sixties? The Beastie Boys rap over a track. It's not the same as processing John's voice like in Tomorrow Never Knows.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In the Seventies, they could have played stripped down/ rearranged versions of their orchestral stuff, or brought along a string/horn section. By the Eighties and thereafter, synth technology has improved to the point they could play most everything themselves.

8. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

"...I associate them with safe, parental music..."

I'm trying not to throw something.

But if you like the Dead, the Doors and The Stones, clearly there's hope for you. Abbey Road, Revolver, Rubber Soul and the White Album are all classic albums from a classic era, parental guidance nowhere to be found.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    YankeeFan likes this.
  9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Safe, parental music. That is hilarious!

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Not 50 years ago, but 48 years ago today the Byrds released "Sweetheart of the Rodeo." A game-changer.

dprince57 likes this.
  11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Attaboy, micro. Ninety percent of the music I've bought the last dozen or so years owes much of its existence to that album.

dprince57 and micropolitan guy like this.
  12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Beatles weren't considered "safe, parental music" until the Stones veered off into blatant Satanism with "Sympathy" and a couple years later with Goat's Head Soup, and Led Zeppelin broke massively about the same time with their own occult-influenced rep. And other heavy metal acts such as Black Sabbath broke big with drug-and-Satanism influences.

Simultaneously with all that the Beatles broke up and their group identity was frozen forever with the sunshine of "Abbey Road" and the raggedy coda of "Let It Be."

My own guess is if the B's had stuck together and "Cold Turkey" had been a Beatles single instead of a Lennon solo disc, the group's image would have taken more of a druggy, dangerous turn.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted