1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Do you just think that Trump should be permitted to spout whatever bullshit policy propositions that spring into his head from day-to-day and no one should ever say note anything about it?

You are veering close to a position that the media should accept that he's going to make great deals, and just ignore everything else as irrelevant.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good point, YF.

Exactly which politicians have given all their supporters everything they want?

Don't you see a difference between Obama not supporting something vs. Drumpf constantly saying he would do something that most people recognize as costly, cruel and impossible?

Plus, the country's views on gay marriage changed very quickly and fabulously.

X-Hack likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think Trump should be held to broad policy goals. He's always made clear that the details of achieving the goals is subject to negotiation. And, he always aims to start a negotiation at unachievable, extreme position, so that he can ultimately be seen as compromising, to a more moderate position, that is very close to his original goal.

And, so, with immigration, the broad policy goal has always been first, and foremost, to secure the border. Beyond that, it's been to ensure that criminal aliens are turned over to federal officials for deportation, when they are arrested by local officials. (i.e. put an end to "sanctuary cities.)

He wants an immigration system where if people are coming here, we are able to identify them, and make sure they aren't criminals.

He wants to make sure that illegal immigrants are taking jobs away from American workers, and/or depressing wages for American workers.

I think out of a sense of fairness for the folks who have gone about (trying to) immigrate here legally, he feels that everyone who has come here illegally should have to go, but also understands that this would be extremely disruptive, would require massive resources, and would be difficult to reach a consensus on.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Trump changes his mind, back and forth and back and forth, in a week's time vs. Obama changing his mind once over several years.

IT'S EXACTLY THE SAME!!! BOTH SIDES DO IT!

Baron Scicluna and dixiehack like this.
  5. YankeeFan

Obama and Hillary lied about their position on gay marriage, right?

I mean, Hillary denied this, famously, to NPR, but we all know they supported gay marriage in 2008, but were afraid to say so, right?

They lied, because they believed they needed the votes of people who were against gay marriage, including a number of African-American and Hispanic voters. At the same time, they were signaling to their supporters in the LGBT community that they were friendly to their cause.

The whole point was to deceive voters.

And, they eventually did publicly switch their position, but when they did, whatever criticism there might have been, there was not a round of gleeful preening by the press, in which they mocked the African-American and Hispanic voters who had been deceived.

6. YankeeFan

That's not even the point I'm making.

My point is that the press would never mock the dumb, ignorant African-American, Church going voters who were deceived by Obama's previous stance on the issue.

But, they take glee in pointing out how dumb the racist rednecks are who believed Trump's original position, when we, who are so much smarter than they, knew all along that he was lying.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What laws did Hillary enact to deceive voters and give gays the right to marry?

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

"I like Trump, because he speaks his mind and tells it like it is!"

"Oh, yeah, I knew he was lying to us about immigration reform. But that's OK."

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Trump wasn't "lying" about immigration reform before. He's lying now. Because someone told him he has to "soften" his stance and pander to another bloc of voters.

He's not pivoting toward his true beliefs - he's pivoting away from them.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's why they voted for Obama.

12. YankeeFan

Which says nothing about my criticism of the reaction.

Instead, you join in mocking the dump Trump supporters, which makes my case.

(Oh, and btw, wasn't a lot of Obama's support due to the fact that he was new, and "different"? That he would not lie to his voters?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.