1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Just talking about this with my buddy today. He has Carrasco and I have Salazar and we were saying how both have sucked lately (although decent start by Salazar today) while Kluber is definitely back after a rough start.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Nah, you're pretty good. You're scrappy, a gamer. Ecketienish

doctorquant likes this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Just hope I don't get pigeon-holed as another Kurt Bevacqua ...

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Amused by the David Ortiz coverage on ESPN. I covered Ortiz when he was with the Twins before they released him. Couldn't stay healthy.

Fans stand up for every at-bat. The reverence takes over the camera shots, with the dissolves and slow pans like its the musical guest on SNL.

Schulman says something along the lines of "Ortiz is the only player to (accomplish some power-hitting feat) at his age."

Non-Boston fans all think "dude still has some world-class PED help".

It's like watching ESPN's coverage of Ernie McCracken when he took on Roy Munson twenty years ago in Reno.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Royals are two games out of the wild card now. I didn't think they'd get this close.

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

A loss tomorrow and a Baltimore win means @Chef2 will have to write 'em off though.

Dick Whitman and Jake_Taylor like this.
  7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Man, Pittsbugh's going to remember that one if they miss the WC by a game.

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Part of it was he couldn't stay healthy, part of it was the Twins didn't think he would be as good a player as he became. The Red Sox look very smart, the Twins look dumb. It happens. With the Yankees, Jay Buhner and Doug Drabek are similar to the Twins and Ortiz.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Probably going to remember that they sold rather than added at the deadline more.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Neither did I.

Two weeks ago, I said if KC was two games out of the WC on September 1, they would make the playoffs. At the time, they were 6 or 7 out.

The Royals just won a "fifth starter game" (Dillon Gee). Before Monday's game, the Royals were 17-4 and, if you throw out the Gee starts, I think they were 17-1 during that stretch. Now they won a damn Dillon Gee game. They're something like 5-22 now on fifth starter games.

KC has already chased down Seattle but Houston has emerged as a new problem in the WC chase. I hate them - they're really, really talented.

The Royals are at seven straight series wins. If they get the split vs NY in these last two, that makes them 71-63 with 28 left. They'll need to go 19-9 to get to 90. Lots of Twins and White Sox games. Buckle in, fellow powder blue fanbois.

I think KC is in trouble tonight with "second day legs" after the Boston trip and late night return after Sunday's game. That's natural. Hope I'm wrong.

FileNotFound likes this.
  11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Kinda cool how the AL wild card race has seven teams all within 3.5 games in the race for two spots.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

White Sox just won three of four against Seattle and looked good doing it. They also have two Cy Young candidates at the top of the rotation. They aren't the '27 Yankees, but I wouldn't lump them in with the Teins.

Draft saved Draft deleted