1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cjericho, Jul 21, 2016.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

This gets the CL seal of approval. A big boy beer. You're hired.

cjericho likes this.
  2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Have you been to North Coast? That was the first I had by them, will have to look for more. What are your top 5 Cali breweries? Mine -- Firestone, Lagunitas, Ballast Point, 21st Amendement, Alesmith

I know Russian River belongs on that list, but haven't had anything from there.

What are the best Cali breweries that don't distribute on the East Coast?

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Isn't that what Oktoberfest beer is for?

4. cjericho

I think Mr Gee prefers mixed drinks. Mass has some outstanding breweries. Boston Beer Co is not one of them. Treehouse, Trillium and Night Shift are.

5. cjericho

Another Pollinator by Magnify Brewing. Very good.

6. cjericho

Boulevard Single-Wide IPA

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Man, you're asking questions I can't honestly answer. I'm really not a huge beer connoisseur. My friends and I have done the limo tour in NoCal about 4 times. It's a once-a-year deal. Usually you pop in, look at the chalkboard, try to pick one and that's it. Drink it down and move on, so we're really only trying one beer each, but we usually share. If you like the beer, great. If you don't, well, there's another place just down the road. We usually don't do samplers, kinda slows down the process. It's usually East Bay locations, but we move into SF for a couple of stops (the longer in the limo, the less amount of time in the breweries). 21st amendment is in both places, a restaurant/brewpub in SF two blocks from At&T Park and their new giant warehouse tasting room in San Leandro. Really like their beer. We go there every year.
    I have not been to North Coast but friends who have are in love with the place. My daughter used to work in a gourmet burger joint. Their bar has about 4 taps and they change quite often. They brought in Prankster for a few months and I thought it was excellent.
    All of the ones you mentioned are very popular, but people really rave about Stone Brewery in San Diego. Nothing bad about that place. I've never had Alesmith. Just googled it and it looks interesting. Belgian is the best. (No joking matter obviously, but when those terrorist bombings occurred in France and England recently, I said that it might be beneficial if they bombed Belgium, because that would piss off all the beer drinkers and the whole world would go after the terrorists.)
    I bought a mixed case from Kona Brewing at Costco a couple of weeks ago. I really like their Golden Ale and you can pound Longboard. I didn't like the IPA. The Red Ale was OK but not as good as the Golden Ale.
    I'll be in Dallas this weekend. I hope I don't get stuck with Billy Beer the whole trip.

cjericho likes this.
  8. cjericho

I envy you West Coasters for Costco. We have Costco and some have beer, but it's not real good beer. Just from beeradvocate, it's great to be able to pick up a couple bottles of Parabola or Stickee Monkee at Costco. In NJ, you won't get more than 1 bottle of that from whatever place unless you got a hook.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I haven't visited all of them, but my favorite California breweries would be, in no order:
    Stone
    Russian River
    Speakeasy
    Green Flash
    Ballast Point
    Kern River

Also note even smaller places like Kaweah, Temblor, Lengthwise and Dust Bowl.

Twenty years since leaving the East Coast, I still miss it, but California is a great, great beer state, no denying.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Almost forgot Smog City.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

When I remember I rate the latest beer I've had at beeradvocate.com. Just finishing an after work Sam Adams Belgian Session. I've rated 74 beers offer the bast 5 years. Not all the different ones I've had just when I remember to do it and it's not obnoxious THese are the my top rated beers I've had
    image.jpeg

cjericho likes this.
  12. cjericho

Lot of good ones on there. I like Mad Elf also, my buddy couldn't drink it. You ever have 120 minute IPA? 18%. Nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted