1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kaepernick sits out the anthem

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Thanks for telling us that's satire.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I do what I can.

4. MUTigers

MUTigers Member

Jehovah Witnesses don't stand for the national anthem. Does that make them bad?

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

He shoulda quit when he was right

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That s why I always sit down when they come to the door

7. CD Boogie

Probably far down on the list of reasons why they suck.

YankeeFan likes this.
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Once upon a time the news business concentrated on newsworthy things. Nowadays it's all about celebrity navel-gazing and crotch-sniffing.

Ace and Smallpotatoes like this.
  9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

When CD Boogie says a higher percentage of white people are killed by police than black people, it's a spurious argument because he's including white people who are attacking someone with a deadly weapon, which is 70 percent of the white victims. So in that context, the statistics I cited work fine to shed some context on the demographic breakdown of police shootings.

I do see where you're going, but we're not as concerned about the people who die (or survive) a confrontation during an attack in progress with a deadly weapon. Let's stipulate for the sake of argument that the vast majority of those police shootings were probably justified.

The outrage occurs when blacks who present a low level of threat (those who are unarmed and are not engaged in an attack in progress) are killed at more than double the rate than whites. Now, to your point, we don't know how many interactions unarmed black people who are not engaged in an "attack in progress" have occurred. But if we look at the NY Times piece, we see that there is a pattern of bias in those non-lethal incidents, where black people are more likely to be pushed against a wall, handcuffed, pepper sprayed/tasered and/or have a gun pointed at them.

That's why I thought it was interesting and useful to look at both studies. The one area then that becomes confusing is that odd gap where there's a pattern of bias in non-lethal incidents, no pattern of bias in non-lethal shootings and then again, a pattern of bias in the lethal shootings.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'll repeat: This is not an inference that can be drawn from the numbers you're working with. You're saying that a black person who presents a low-level threat is twice as likely to be killed as a white person doing the same thing. That might be true. But the numbers you have do not -- and, indeed, cannot -- be used to support that.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I like look forward to Mr Kaepernick's speech in Sweden and Norway

12. CD Boogie

If we put police officers in the upper middle class with salaries (which they should be), do you think a lot of these problems would be addressable? Not to say people of all strata aren't given to racist leanings (because they are), but when you empower people who are barely more educated than the people they police, it seems ripe for abuse.

Draft saved Draft deleted