1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A taste of SE Alaska

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by I Should Coco, Aug 28, 2016.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

They're looking for a temporary editor at the Haines, Alaska, weekly while the publisher steps back to run for public office.

A great part of SE Alaska and a pretty good paper ... if this was fall of 2017, I really would consider doing this. Just can't make it happen this fall, but could be a great experience.

Here's the J-Jobs ad:

The Chilkat Valley News, one of Alaska's smallest (circulation 1,400) and best weeklies (named Best Weekly Newspaper in Alaska, 2014 and 2015 by the Alaska Press Club) seeks an experienced reporter to fill in for publisher/editor/reporter Tom Morphet, who is running for local government office and is detaching himself from daily operation of the newspaper. Editing and layout experience are big pluses. So is Alaska experience. The election is Oct. 4. The newspaper staff includes one other full-time reporter. The CVN is located in Haines, Alaska's southern panhandle, 80 miles north of Juneau. Email cover letter describing journalism experience, 3 best clips, and 3 professional references to cvn@chilkatvalleynews.com. For details, call 907-766-2688 and ask for Tom Morphet.

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Try One Month of Reporting in Alaska

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Are they expecting someone to relocate for a one-month contract that could possibly be extended? Guess if you also hunt caribou might as well go for it.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

If it came with Palin friends with benefits, I'd hit it.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Does she even live in Alaska anymore? I've lost track of the reality TV star-wannabe.

Draft saved Draft deleted