1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The $400 EpiPen

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 23, 2016.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It is an important concession because when those policies are in place, parents have to deal with the burden imposed by the unfair price gouging that you seem to support.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If you want to characterize my comments as support, that's fine, but for the record I don't really believe there's such a thing as "unfair price gouging."

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Your comments are support, so how else should they be characterized?

Your opinion on unfair price gouging is noted and dismissed with the derision it deserves.

4. doctorquant

I'm fairly down with e = m*(c^2), so put me in the special relativity cheerleader camp, too.

Got it in my head that only one of us: A) knows what rent-seeking actually is; and B) has ever, in his work in the public sector, actually done something to ameliorate it.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    Hokie_pokie likes this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is because, horrible person that you are, you only see "fair price gouging"!

doctorquant likes this.
  6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Anyone else think this test is bullshit?

doctorquant likes this.
  7. doctorquant

Best I can tell it's not inaccurate. I've looked at the policies of several local school districts (and private schools) and have yet to find one that states "it MUST be an Epipen from Mylan."

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Gracious of them to voluntarily lose money like that. I hope they don't go out of business.

10. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

This should pleas Kaep

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If not for how that market has been destroyed and turned into a price-fixed mess, Teva could have had that generic on the market a long time ago -- and likely at a cost much less than the $300 Mylan will charge. If Teva's price was way above whatever market equilibrium there is for an Epipen, Sanofi or Novartis could have had a generic cued up quickly at an even lower cost. Imagine that.

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Isn't the drug itself cheap? The unique aspect of the Epipen is the delivery system.

So you're going to get a generic delivery system? What's that -- a syringe?

Comical.

Draft saved Draft deleted