1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kaepernick sits out the anthem

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Been out of the loop a bit. What are the details on the Milwaukee unrest?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Will the NFL give the military a discount for the "honor the troops" events it charges to put on after this?

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

A weekend or two ago, the cops shot and killed an armed (apparently with a stolen gun) man fleeing a traffic stop. There was a day or two of rioting in the area around the incident. I'm sure Sheriff Clarke got several lengthy spots on Fox News out of the deal.

EDIT: For the record, it was a black officer who shot him. As you can see, there's not much of an argument here, particularly in comparison, but Milwaukee (and Wisconsin) in general is in a bad way when it comes to racial and urban/rural relations.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Doesn't really sound like your typical trigger-happy injustice.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I guess I'm not aghast about this because it's been done before. And often. Back in the '70s, black students at my small college often refused to stand for the anthem at sporting events.

Strange thing is, I was more offended by it then than I am now. And I don't really know what that means.

6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

It's mildly interesting that Kelly has no rules about this.....mainly because on the 2nd Hard Knocks they showed Fisher telling the Rams how they were to lineup for the anthem. Gave it no thought in terms of free expression at the time.

Wonder what the split is in terms of coaches that have rules and ones that don't care.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Just watched the third Hard Knocks episode from my DVR. Enjoying this season a lot.

And standing or sitting, Colin Kaepernick is irrelevant.

8. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

The good thing about the USA was that it was founded on principles of individual liberty rather than blind loyalty to the flag.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  9. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

I wonder if Kaep sat out the pledge of allegiance in elementary school

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

if you're like me, it means you've seen enough shit that actually matters to people's unhappiness or unhappiness, so you're able to let empty gestures like standing or not standing for an anthem slide right off your back

11. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

An outspoken personna sure worked out well for Chris Kluwe

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Like others, I'm amused that the same people who so often rail about political correctness running amuck seem to be the people most offended by this young man defying political correctness.

Draft saved Draft deleted