1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Houston Chronicle seeks sports columnist

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Aug 25, 2016.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

The Houston Chronicle, one of the largest newspapers in the United States, is looking for a sports columnist to join our dedicated team. We need someone who can produce sharp opinions, supported by thoughtful analysis and reporting.

The sports columnist is expected to capture key moments, trends and high-impact issues about Houston’s professional sports teams as well as major college programs in Texas and emerging national issues in the world of sports. We are seeking someone who has demonstrated an ability to write engaging, sophisticated pieces for digital and print platforms.

When it comes to passion for sports, it really doesn’t get bigger or better than Texas, and Houston is the ideal setting for a creative sports columnist. The city is home to four professional sports teams (NFL, MLB, NBA and MLS) and is a magnet for major events, such as the 2016 Final Four and the 2017 Super Bowl.

At the college level, Houston’s loyalties are deeply divided among major conferences Big 12 (University of Texas), and the SEC (Texas A&M University), as well as programs based in the city – University of Houston and Rice University. The Chronicle's circulation area includes more than 200 high schools.

The Chronicle’s ambitions in sports coverage continues to expand, which include new initiatives in podcasts, video and television. Such efforts created the opportunity to add a sports columnist to the staff. The columnist will be expected to appear in video, podcasts and television when needed.

This demanding mission requires an experienced hand. The successful candidate will already have an impressive portfolio of high-impact sports journalism.

Randy Harvey,
    sports editor
    randy.harvey@chron.com

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Houston Chronicle seeks sports columnist

--

So they've actually created a position

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

The Chronicle’s ambitions in sports coverage continues to expand,

So they've actually created a position.

Is the position copy editor for the sports editor's job postings?

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Didn't Harvey flee the Times to become Houston's columnist? Is he replacing himself?

4. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Randy has been the sports editor for most of the last year. He was a columnist for about three years after leaving The Times, then I believe Brian T. Smith replaced him. This would be a different position.

5. SuperDeuce

SuperDeuce Member

The Chronicle also had an opening for a sports enterprise reporter earlier this year. Any word on what happened with that spot?

6. eclapt44

eclapt44 Member

Can't wait for the post for somebody saying how "this would be a dream job and will be sending my materials in right away."

Suggswriter and Ice9 like this.
  7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Followed by -- sent my resume and clips a week ago, has anyone heard anything.

Suggswriter and Ice9 like this.
  8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Followed by "You're hired!" (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

cjericho likes this.
  9. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Is it near Tahoe? And is it a big-boy job?

Tweener likes this.
  10. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

The Chronicle also had a sports columnist opening about a year ago.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I was waiting for the big-boy remark, Fran.

All kidding aside, this is a pretty damn good job. They just lost Jose Ortiz to St. Louis as a columnist about six months ago, so I imagine this is to replace him.

12. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I didn't realize Jesus Ortiz (I believe it's Jesus) had morphed into a columnist. Certainly this is a good job.

Was Ortiz a longtime baseball writer? Didn't strike me as someone who'd easily transform into a columnist.

Draft saved Draft deleted