1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Madison Square Garden And Yankee Stadium...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by daytonadan1983, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Oh, also highly recommend the Museum of the City of New York. And the Tennament Museum.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'll second Jimmy's Corner. The old Newspaper Guild and Wire Service Guild offices used to be directly across 44th St. (between 6th and 7th), so I've spent a lot of time there. The owner, Jimmy Glenn, is apparently still going strong. Plus, $3 drafts.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Damn ... I didn't think you could buy anything in New York for less than $5 ...

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Thanks. I walked by the Dakota when I last went in 2000. Chilling.

Our pass lets us skip the line for Top of the Rock so that should be relatively quick.

Jimmy's corner. That'll be a "me" stop. Thank you.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Since this is near and dear to my heart, even though it is well worn territory on here. ... Two types of pizza to consider. There are your "by the slice" places and there are your "sit-down by the pie" places. I'm not sure what you have in mind.

By the slice, most of what you get in Manhattan is going to be the same. Anything cheap will be skimping on ingredients -- the cheese will be rubbery (likely because there is synthetic rubber in it). So be wary of anyone selling "dollar a slices." Anything else will be fairly similar (with differences based on sauce, dough, amount of cheese, etc.), whether it is Pizza Suprema, the various Famiglia's, Two Boots, etc. If it is a quick drunk slice, I am partial to places like Ben's (one in Soho, one in the Village on W. 3rd). It's consistent, at least. Unfortunately, most of the best slices are in the outer boroughs. Louie and Ernie's in the Bronx, Di Fara's all the way out in the Brooklyn hinterlands, Brother's in Queens, etc. I have ventured far and wide to sample. There used to be way more extraordinary slices in Manhattan, but unfortunately, rents have driven a lot of the best places away over the last 10 to 20 years. If you really want some great outer borough places, PM me. They will probably be a trip, though, just for a slice of pizza.

The sit down places are more interesting. For my money, the best pizza in NYC is Juliana's. This is one of the few things in New York that tourists have right. If you walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, it's right on the other side on Old Fulton St. Go down to the park on the water if you do that walk. It's pretty cool and has stunning views. There are now 3 pizza places around there. It's become kind of a cottage industry, because the original Grimaldi's was the go-to place back in the day. You'll see Grimaldi's, Juliana's and closer to Water Street (heading toward Dumbo) Ignazio's. Juliana's is in the original Grimaldi's storefront and it is run by the original Grimaldi family. They sold their name and place years ago to the people who now run Grimaldi's, which moved to the corner for more space. Grimaldi's is OK, but I can name 10 better places in NY at this point. Don't touch Ignazio's. They try to sweep up the leftover tourists when there are long lines at the other two. Grimaldi's is fine, Juliana's is better. The original guys got back into the game. and they have the original coal-fired oven and just know how to do it. There may be lines, but that is what you are dealing with.

If you don't venture over the bridge, there is some really good sit-down pizza in Manhattan. I am very partial to Keste on Bleeker Street in the West Village. Lombardi's In Soho is very good, too, and gives you a bit of the old school vibe and ambiance to go with a very solid thin-crust pizza. It may be the oldest pizza place in the U.S. There are various foofy pie places that are actually pretty good, but probably won't give the experience you might be looking for. For example, Marta on 28th or 29th is owned by Danny Meyer. Or Otto Enoteca off of 5th Ave. in the Village is a Mario Batali place (pizza is so-s0, but they have the best gelato ever). If you happen to hit it, get the olive oil gelato and ask for sea salt on the side. It is life-changing. In fact, we often just go out elsewhere and stop there on the way home and sit near the bar and order the gelato.

If you want any other sit-down recommendations, PM me. I take my pizza seriously. ... but of course there is no accounting for my taste. :)

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Great place for a quick slice in midtown is Little Italy on 43rd between 5th and Madison. It's not a sit-down place but they do have a long counter.

7. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

You should not be eating so much pizza. It's high sodium level will drive up your blood pressure.

For a slice I'm a big fan of Belle Vita pizza on 58 th street between 6th and 7th directly behind NYAC.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

"He came to Yankee Stadium in November, even though everybody told him to skip it. Took the D train this time, but it could have been the 4 or Metro North. He took the train and walked the same streets that the Babe, the Iron Horse, Casey, Joe, Mickey, Reggie and Donnie Baseball walked. There's nothing like Yankee Stadium in November, nothing like it in all of sports. You can hear the wind howling and the legends whispering. Every old street near this new park can tell a tale -- but it's better to hear them in October. Because October is about the Yankees, always has been. Always will be."

That was for Earthman.

Not much else to add to everyone's suggestions but will add a couple. Flor de Mayo if you're on Upper West, between 83rd and 84th. Peruvian-Chinese.

And don't forget there is life in Manhattan above 125th and there are a few things up by us in Inwood. The Cloisters.

The Cloisters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Very cool spot.

Inwood Hill Park is oldest natural forest left in Manhattan. Take the A train to 207th, last stop, disappear in there for awhile and doesn't feel like NYC.

And the Dyckman Farmhouse is the last farmhouse in Manhattan. Really was a farmhouse back in the day (even into the early 1900s there wasn't a ton up our way). It's a fun little place to take a quick stop just for the fact it's a farm place in the middle of (well, at the top of ) frickin' Manhattan. Again, last stop on A train.

I've taken Circle Line cruise around Manhattan twice. Really enjoyed it, although sitting outside was bit hard to hear the guide with the wind. Only advice for that would be sit on the left side of the boat, since you're better able to see the island then as it goes around.

My uncle was in town few weeks ago and in a week we put on like 68 miles walking around, according to his Fitbit. That City pass looks like an awesome thing, wish I would have told him about it, he definitely would have saved money and it has things I wasn't aware of.

cranberry likes this.
  9. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

One other site to add to list - The 9/11 mall just opened at Ground Zero
    Shopping || World Trade Center
    A half million square foot of retailers to enjoy while paying tribute to the fallen.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There was a shopping mall (operated by the same people) underneath the twin towers. They rebuilt what was destroyed, 15 years later. In fact, there was already a plan in place to expand the mall when the towers were destroyed. This has nothing to do with the victims of 9/11, nor is it disrespectful. It's about finally rebuilding what was destroyed. Should the area have just remained a giant hole in the ground?

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Just spent a couple of days in Midtown visiting my niece ... lot of fun, got to see a good chunk of the city. Took a cab down to the water, walked up to Chelsea, took in Central Park and an art museum (The Frick Collection). We went to the Comedy Cellar in Greenwich Village for the late-night show on Monday, where quite honestly, Todd Berry (who was on Louie) was probably the least entertaining of the lot.

Checked out the Frying Pan on a boat on the Hudson River. ... Went to a cool beer garden in Chelsea (name escapes me), walked the Highline to the High Line Hotel, where we drank some frozen Negronis, which were amazing. Went back up to Billymarks West for the $8 shot and a beer dive bar experience. Ate a Papaya Dog. Drank at Minetta Tavern before the comedy show. Went to The Jeffery for happy hour (and more) on Tuesday and found out that they show Orioles games there regularly. Score. Finished up with dinner at a Portugese spot named Ipanema in Midtown. Fabulous paella. All in all, great trip. Can't wait to do it again.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Cran and I say thanks for calling, thanks for the required "when in NYC beer." Jeez. Some guys.

I walk through part of that new mall on my way to the office every day. I haven't seen a store there yet you can't find elsewhere so I don't know if I'd make a special trip. But if you're in the area, it is certainly a way to spend a few more bucks. The new transportation station is interesting looking, the PATH and (I think) 11 subway lines go through there.

cranberry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted