1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jason Pierre-Paul sues Adam Schefter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

a year away? shows how clogged the legal system is with frivolous lawsuits.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Maybe Peter Thiel is trying to shut down Disney.

4. Earthman

I don't see it as a frivolous lawsuit at all. It just seems like he would have a right to medical privacy.

5. CD Boogie

I don't think it's frivolous, either. I meant other suits that are clogging the system that require something like this to be scheduled for a year away. He's absolutely entitled to his medical privacy. I thought Schefter exhibited an egregious lapse in judgment and ethics.

Tweener likes this.
  6. Earthman

Got it. We're on the same page then

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

You really have no idea what you are talking about. In any case there are a lot of things that have to happen before a case can go to trial, like depositions, discovery, various motions, possibly mediation. The courts sets standard deadlines for these things to take place and the trial date follows. The timing is not about court resources. It's about the sides having time to go through all the pretrial crap. Even if this matter seems pretty simple, the schedule is the same for every action on the same track. And if you follow any single civil action, you will soon learn that the lawyers are the ones who cause the delays.

8. Earthman

Via the New York Post, the judge denied from the bench a motion filed by ESPN and Schefter both to dismiss the case and to compel Pierre-Paul to pay sanctions for filing it.

9. CD Boogie

OK, law bro. The room for who gives a fuck is right over there.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

You were the one claiming that the trial date of JPP's case is proof of frivolous lawsuits clogging up courts. It seems like you were the one that cared. GFY

11. CD Boogie

And in you swoop on your pedantic magic carpet, ready to sprinkle your legal wisdom to the masses. I'm more than willing to admit when I'm wrong, which I apparently was in this instance. And I'm also willing to acknowledge when someone is being a cock, and that's someone who opens a comment by saying, "You really have no idea what you are talking about."

12. Earthman

Would agree that the opener seemed a tad aggressive for an opening response. Harsh really

Draft saved Draft deleted