1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why College Sports is a Scam No. 101...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Aug 24, 2016.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

My ass.

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Interesting. And the claims that they are all "middle-aged" and "right wingers"?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"majority of," he said.

Do you know how to read? That's in doubt after these last couple of pages.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It seems to me, the ones that complain the most about paying those boys sure fit that description.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Like I said earlier, and was ridiculed by YankeeFan (who seems to have disappeared off this thread) the best way to do it is to have all the athletes receive a stipend from the school as part of the scholarship, then allow them to earn off their own name. Private businesses and people aren't beholden to Title IX.

Don't be fooled by the usual cries of "Only 22 schools are making a profit!" They're only making a profit because the other schools are spending too much on coaching salaries, fancy locker rooms, and yes, six-figure strength and conditioning coaches.

There's plenty of money out there to pay stipends. Just look at how much TV money the cartel is making now off the college football playoff as opposed to how much they were making with the BCS. It's hundreds of millions more in additional profit before even selling one ticket.

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

How can you mandate someone who is a paid professional to go to class? why would you do it? the big colleges should be considered minor leagues.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Let's look at thi
    In this scenario they aren't a paid professional.

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

My mistake. I said "all" instead of "majority of." I apologize.

But that seems like an unnecesarily aggressive response to a genuine question.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Put it in the contract. No classes, no good grades, your pay gets reduced.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

If it is antecdotal, that's fine. But saying "the majority of" seems like a stretch.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

@TyWebb you are correct -- my apologies. I blame it on the construction worker noise clogging my brain.

Here's one thing that has happened with me that I think is the case with a lot of people -- my opinion has changed dramatically in the last 5-10 years. In the '80s and '90s when I first started hearing about this issue, my quick calculations told me also that in nearly all cases, the scholarship was providing the value that these guys would get paid. There were obvious exceptions, but really at that time 90-95 percent of the players were getting equivalent value.

But the money coming in now ... and the increased attention on recruiting which has given these guys a good sense of their "market value" ... and the increased labor required as the season has grown from 10 or 11 to sometimes 15 games ... and the money ... and the coaches' salaries ... and the money ... the scale has gotten completely out of whack. Even the guy who ends up as the third-string guard, if given the opportunity to negotiate on the open market out of high school, he could get himself four years of schooling plus maybe a little extra.

So I've arrived at my stance more situationally than based on any philosophical objection to the setup of college sports. But it's absolutely insane that with the money flying around, and a season that now goes from August to January, we feel like cost of attendance is adequate compensation for football and basketball.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That's fair, but let's look at the demographic and say that I think it is a fair assumption.

Draft saved Draft deleted