1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Post-Gender' Baby Names

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Down the street from me, I have 3 girls named:

Aibhlinn
    Maebh
    Sullivan

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

When she was pregnant, I made a list of boys names and a list of girls names I liked.
    Maebh was on the list with Aoife, Bridget, Claire, Moira, Meghan, Margaret, Nora, Una, Niamh and Colleen.

None of them came into play once we learned the sex, or sexes, since we learned we had twin boys.

Then I made a list of names - all Gaelic or Gaelic origin - and she made a list of names - about half Mexican and half Hebraic.
    Then she picked one name from my list and I picked one name from her list.

Lugnuts likes this.
  3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

And Sile, forgot that one. That's my aunt and god-mother's name.

Lugnuts likes this.
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

One of the funkiest looking names but best sounding to me is "Siobhan" which phonetically is "Sha-vaughn"

Riptide likes this.
  5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

When we had the two lists completed. She chose off mine, and I chose Rory from hers.
    It was the only name on her list that was Gaelic. All the rest were Mexican and Hebraic.

Then she realized that Rory had also been on my list. She interpreted this as me somehow getting to name each of the twins.
    She insisted that the entire process had to be redone because it wasn't 'fair.'
    I still don't understand it.
    Anyway, I resubmitted my list with no changes, and she chose the same name from it.
    She gave me her list, with Rory deleted.

And that is why one of our kids should be named Rory but is actually named after the third king of Judah.

HC likes this.
  6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I knew a "Sha-vaughn" that was spelled Chvon. Her mom saw a girl on a TV with that name and she liked it.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The cutest little toddler toddled up to me at the library recently, and I asked the mom her name, and she said, "Sally."

I was like, mama, you're awesome ! Love it !

swingline and HC like this.
  8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Our daughter goes by Charly.

Lugnuts likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One of my nieces is Austin. Born in 1981, fashion model beautiful, six handicap. My two children are Joshua and Hope. Family names from the colonial era (first Gee here 1650).

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My ex mother-in-law, who is as far from a feminist as I can imagine, gave both her daughters names that were designed to be gender neutral so that they wouldn't automatically have their resumes and applications flagged as women before getting an interview. I'm not sure how well Dana and Ashley achieved that purpose, but both have good jobs so what do I know?

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

My older son was born two weeks after Super Bowl XLIV. If Childress and Favre hadn't fucked up the NFC championship, there's a chance he would have been named Adrian. We dodged a bullet there.

Draft saved Draft deleted