1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Watched The 33 the other day and was extremely disappointed. First of all, the movie should have been in Spanish, not English and why in the hell is a white guy like Bob Gunton playing the Chilean president and a French woman like Juliette Binoche all browned up to look Chilean?
    The story itself was great and Antonio Banderas was excellent, but I couldn't get past the shoddy filmmaking and pretty bad casting of some parts.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

27 Dresses. Have seen it a few times. Adorable with some funny moments.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Haven't seen it, but it's an American-made movie, so English seems to make sense for the language.
    Also, the Chilean president was of predominantly European ancestry.
    Don't know about Binoche's character.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I went to see Ben-Hur this weekend but walked out in anger after I discovered it's not in Latin.

swingline, Buck, Jake_Taylor and 2 others like this.
  5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Finally watched Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice today. I'm sure it would have been much better if I didn't already know so much of the plot and if I had seen it in the theater. As it was, not as bad as I expected, but it was far too slow. Affleck's Batman really is a highlight of the movie. The dream sequences were distracting, but well shot. The bits taken from The Dark Knight Returns were also good.

That said, as a whole, it was too slow and a lot is lost if you don't know the history from the comics. DC rushed to have its Avengers and the result was a movie that didn't even come close. Hopefully, Justice League will be much better.

bigpern23 likes this.
  6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think Henry What'shisname looks good as Superman but is boring as hell. But, I think Superman as a character is pretty boring.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Just watched "Everest," and found it completely underwhelming. It's well cast with some excellent actors who actually look quite a bit like the people they are portraying, and the source material - Krakauer's "Into Thin Air" - is unquestionably amazing. The story is compelling. And, yet, the movie really pretty much sucked.

I think the biggest downfall is that it rarely appeared as though the actors were on a mountain. I'm not saying they should have filmed on Everest itself, but the soundstage and CGI never looked like they were outdoors and the danger never felt real.

8. Adding this to my must-see list.
    Russian version of The Avengers. There's a Man-Bear!

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Watched it again today. I liked it the first time I saw, but not on the same level as Marvel movies. I liked it better this time. Wonder Woman was great Jesse Eisenberg did a very good job as a maniacal psychopath. I liked it. It doesn't need to be compared to others of its genre.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Didn't watch the trailer, but the still looks more like a DC movie.

11. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Finally saw The Big Short. It was unbelievable. At times, it felt like a documentary (and that's a good thing). I even liked the times when the movie pointed out the Hollywood changes to actual events, and the cameos were fantastic.
    It's pretty easy to see why Bale earned an Oscar nomination.
    The movie should also piss everyone off who sees it as a reminder of how inept our government is when it comes to regulating the big banks and Wall Street.
    As we catch up on last year's Oscar nominees, Spotlight and The Danish Girl are up next this week.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Saw a Danish film on Netflix called "A Hijacking" about the hijacking of a Danish freighter by Somali pirates. Very different from "Captain Phillips" in that it gives equal weight to the negotiators in the head office. Good, suspenseful, well acted. Highly recommended.

Draft saved Draft deleted