1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glen Beck and the 1st Amendment

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 10, 2016.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

It's not a prior restraint and it puts 'journalists' on the same level as most other people. You read far too much into the freedom of the press. It doesn't confer some exalted status on those who claim they are engaged in expressing their right.

I have a problem with any First Amendment argument that refers to the profession of journalism and how it is conducted. Whether it's the ethics of publishing a sex tape or the need for journalists to be protected from revealing sources, it doesn't matter. The Constitution doesn't go that far.

lcjjdnh likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I didn't say that it is prior restraint. Nor did I really read anything into the Constitution. In fact, my post said, that is the reason I am in favor of shield laws and wish there was a federal one. I think people should want it addressed.

For me, it is not about trying to carve out an exact meaning of the words in the Bill of Rights and slice it, dice it and parse it to say "it applies here, but not here." That is the bullshit that creates massive perversions that read every nonsensical thing into the document and creates a mishmash of new rights (that change when social attitudes change). I didn't suggest that.

I'm am talking about the principle itself. Unlike Alexander Hamilton, I believe a free press is a big one in a democracy. That is why I don't care if it is prior restraint. That isn't some magical line in the sand that defines the principle for me. In my opinion, legislators or judges shouldn't be doing anything that has the potential to scare someone into not publishing something. And if you are afraid of being subpoenaed and thrown in jail, that certainly has the potential to deter you from reporting on something. Prior restraint isn't the issue for me. The unimpeded press is. For the most part, I am concerned about government using tactics to shield itself from public examination. When judges have the power to threaten to jail someone for not revealing a source (in any case), I think it opens that door. So I'd rather see that door closed. Which is why, as I said, I am a big advocate of shield laws and wish there was a federal one.

3. justgladtobehere

So are you arguing that revealing sources is something that should be protected by the First Amendment or that there should be legislation that recognizes the principles of the First Amendment and protects sources?

4. The Big Ragu

Shield laws are legislation. It's not like I am proposing something that hasn't already been widely enacted by state legislation.

People are willing to read whatever self-serving things they want into the Constitution and create new rights. Not consistently here, even though I think it actually would have been way more consistent with the principles behind the freedom of the press than some of the BS "rights" courts have created over the years that bear no relationship to the document. So fine. It's not inherent in the First Amendment. What I am saying is that I personally think this is important. People shouldn't be comfortable with judges being able to throw people in jail for not revealing a source. That kind of thing has a lot of negative potential to stifle examination of things someone might not want investigated. There is absolutely nothing keeping us from enacting legislation that takes care of it. I think a federal shield law would be a welcome protection.

5. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Who should come within the ambit of this rule, in your view? Newspaper reporters? Bloggers? Guy on his Facebook page? Sort of problematic, I think, for the government to be deciding what types of "journalists" deserve this protection.

6. The Big Ragu

Anyone who publishes or broadcasts something and then gets threatened by a judge with jail if he or she won't reveal an anonymous source. People make this way more complicated than it needs to be. That is the idea behind a "free" press. These rights can be exercised by everyone and anyone. Otherwise you have a "regulated" press.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Beck says he doesn't personally know who the source(s) is/are.

And the producer who supposedly talked to the source no longer works for him.

I'm not sure how you can continue to go after him, or his company.

8. The Big Ragu

It's a civil defamation suit. The standard is that he publicized something false and he did it with reckless disregard for the truth.

If his defense is that 1) he publicized something from a mystical source he never talked to and he doesn't know who that source is, and 2) He can't offer any other evidence that he tried to verify the info independently. ... he deserves to lose a defamation suit.

There is no need to twist his arm about revealing his source. If that is his defense, we should be starting to figure out the damages. At worst he is full of shit and there is no source. At best, the truth wasn't of any primary concern to him.

9. YankeeFan

Yeah, I saw your post after I replied.

So, it doesn't look like he's under threat of going to jail.

He just can't get the suit thrown out because he's unable to present a proper defense without revealing his source.

Too fucking bad.

It's your choice. Defend yourself as you see fit, but the case is going to go forward.

10. justgladtobehere

It's a freedom to publish, not a freedom to be exempted from the laws that apply to every other citizen. A journalist who is a witness to a crime should be compelled to testify like anybody else.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

my first question is, "money man"? these guys had homemade pressure cookers loaded with nails, and their "out" involved staying in Boston and getting into a shootout with a campus cop instead of trying to actually flee. If they had a money man, I'd like to know what the money went towards. Weed for the one who ran over the older brother with the car?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  12. YankeeFan

Case has settled. Would love to know how much Beck had to cough up.

Draft saved Draft deleted