1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cool science stuff

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Buck, Aug 14, 2012.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Video won't play on my computer.
    The ad plays, but the video content won't.

Late 1990s, we had a regular poker game on Guam.
    We would often play five-card draw Jacks or better trips to win progressive - we referred to that game as The Big Picture.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's awesome.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If you live in Southern Illinois, you'll get two total eclipses 7 years apart.

I'll be able to step in my backyard for the 2024 one. For next year, I'm considering a drive up I-35.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I remember the eclipse in 1994. It was freaky as hell to see the street lights come on in the middle of the day.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Went to the exploratorium in Chicago this summer and saw a film about "the 9th Planet" out there (after Pluto was downgraded). Amazing what the telescopes (Hubble and others) show about the universes beyond ours. Its so daunting that my reaction is to not think too hard about it. Still, so fascinating.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm thinking you mean galaxies. When they discover a universe beyond ours, it'll be pretty damn big news.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'm a lawyer, not an astronomer; but yeah, admittedly I probably get everything wrong.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Oh, no prob. People actually mix up those terms quite often.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's a real theory, not just in comic books:

5 Reasons We May Live in a Multiverse

Which means, of course, that the entire universe we live in could be contained in an atom on the fingernail of some giant being, while every atom on the end of your fingernail could contain its own sub-microscopic universe.

Could I buy some pot from you?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted