1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sweet Jesus, YF, claiming he's gone way up with minority voters is hilarious. It's a classic case of Trump's hyperbole not coming close to matching up with reality. Bragging about going from 1 percent to 8 or whatever is funny. You know it is, even if your Trumpism won't let you admit it.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Critics are attempting to create a catch-22 situation for Republicans.

It's ok for African-Americans, or friendly Democratic politicians, to talk about the problems in the African-American community and/or in the inner city.

When Michelle Obama says that an African-American man can get shot at a gas station, it doesn't raise any eyebrows. (And, let's not kid ourselves. The Obama's lived in a nice neighborhood. They worked in a nice neighborhood. He worked out at the East Bank Club -- in a nice neighborhood. Their favorite restaurants are all in nice neighborhoods.)

But, Republicans, who lack a great number of African-Americans among their membership, try to speak honestly about these issues, folks get insulted. We get this, "how dare you talk about our community this way."

It's a nice trick.

3. YankeeFan

Senator/Candidate Obama used to get big cheers for lines like this:

Yes, it takes new resources, but we also know that there is no program and no policy that can substitute for a parent who is involved in their child’s education from day one. There is no substitute for a parent who will make sure their children are in school on time and help them with their homework after dinner and attend those parent-teacher conferences, like so many parents here at MESA do. And I have no doubt that we will still be talking about these problems in the next century if we do not have parents who are willing to turn off the TV once in awhile and put away the video games and read to their child. Responsibility for our children’s education has to start at home. We have to set high standards for them and spend time with them and love them. We have to hold ourselves accountable.

Full text of Obama’s education speech – The Denver Post

And Democrats, we must also admit that fulfilling America’s promise will require more than just money. It will require a renewed sense of responsibility from each of us to recover what John F. Kennedy called our “intellectual and moral strength.” Yes, government must lead on energy independence, but each of us must do our part to make our homes and businesses more efficient. Yes, we must provide more ladders to success for young men who fall into lives of crime and despair. But we must also admit that programs alone can’t replace parents; that government can’t turn off the television and make a child do her homework; that fathers must take more responsibility for providing the love and guidance their children need.

Individual responsibility and mutual responsibility - that’s the essence of America’s promise.

Barack Obama Democratic Convention Speech (VIDEO) (TEXT)

If Donald Trump said this, people would freak the fuck out.

4. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

As far as Trump, is there any reason to believe anything he says? Why would anyone, black or white, believe him when he spouts off? He and his father were sued for racial discrimination. Have fun in 20 years explaining to your daughter why you voted for Donald Trump.

Ace likes this.
  5. YankeeFan

Funny, the very next line in Obama's 2008 convention speech is this:

And just as we keep our keep our promise to the next generation here at home, so must we keep America’s promise abroad. If John McCain wants to have a debate about who has the temperament, and judgment, to serve as the next Commander-in-Chief, that’s a debate I’m ready to have.

Temperament was an issue the Democratic candidate wanted to raise in 2008.

But, when I say let's examine Hillary's temperament, I'm told it's not necessary.

No one says, "yes, let's do it," making the case that her temperament is lovely, and appropriate for the presidency. It's like her on supporters are afraid to learn the truth.

6. YankeeFan

Gaining seven points with African-American voters in a couple of weeks is big news. Going from 1% to 8% is very big news.

old_tony likes this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Only when you're desperate.

8. YankeeFan

Well sure. Trump is behind, and desperate to win the votes of African-Americans and Hispanics.

And, his work appears to be paying off. He's gained a lot of ground in the last couple of weeks. He's near the levels that McCain and Romney captured.

If these gains continue, he could outpace McCain and Romney.

That would be Yuge.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Your logic is so tortured; look at what Obama said, it was McCain who raised the issue, NOT Obama.

Once again, its You who is raising the issue.

BTW, you're elevating termperament to such heights, that's the ridiculousness of it, like its priority No. 1. Coupled with the fact that you're criticizing a woman for "Standing By Her Man (per Patsy Cline)") raises the level of ridiculousness. (Ask your mom/sister/daughter whether they share your criticism of a woman who does so.)

10. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I think you are being a bit disingenuous here Yank. I believe that Trump polled at 1% in a Wall Street journal poll. He is at 8% in a Survey Monkey tracking poll (I believe). He did not suddenly gain 7% points, it was a different poll. If I am wrong I apologize.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Where are his black people?

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Tonight, Trump is holding a rally in Jackson, Miss., a city that's 3/4 nonwhite, so we might see how much his support among blacks has increased.

News reports say that one of the subjects of speech will be Brexit, an issue that I'm sure will resonate with minority voters.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    HanSenSE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.