1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Draft Kings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Aug 13, 2015.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

JackReacher, poindexter and BDC99 like this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The government should protect you from such activities. (Unless they can figure out how to get a bigger cut of the action, then it will be ok.)

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Just thought the same thing. How is that different from high-volume stock trading?

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Damn, that was good.

The money shots:
    For the 17 weeks I played D.F.S., whether at a $5 entry fee or for $100, I routinely was matched up against top players. But unless I examined win rates and researched the strengths and weaknesses of my opponents, I would never have known that I was being repeatedly bumhunted by high-volume players.

On Dec. 16, for example, I entered three $20 N.B.A. head-to-head contests on DraftKings. My opponents were gunz4hire, Dinkpiece and Nadia4Fashion. Gunz4hire was then ranked 47th on the Rotogrinders players ranking and is generally considered one of the better players in the world. Dinkpiece, who was 20th on that same list, is the alias for Drew Dinkmeyer, a former stock trader whose winnings in D.F.S. have been so well publicized that he has his own Wall Street Journal stipple drawing.

On Christmas, the biggest day in the N.B.A.’s regular season, I entered 17 head-to-head contests on DraftKings for prices between $1 and $20. Once again, I was matched up against Dinkpiece and gunz4hire, along with a handful of other professionals.

The next day, I entered three more $20 N.B.A. contests. I was able to avoid Dinkpiece and gunz4hire, but found myself in a $20 head-to-head against Birdwings, the 2nd-ranked player in the Rotogrinders rankings.

In three days, I played three of the best D.F.S. players in the world.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Saw this at the end of Outsidee the Lines today. Bob Ley cited "numerous reports" then said ESPN refused to comment.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Sounds like folks have figured out that its a sucker's game.

12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted