1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

30 for 30 running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Oct 6, 2009.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I still miss South Florida. Even though it's August and hurricane season will be at its peak in another 3 weeks.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Back in the day the old man used to spend our Florida vacations blowing our college money at the horses and dogs at Calder and Flagler with the occasional trip to jai-alai at Dania. He knew nothing about it other than you could gamble on it and he was convinced it was fixed. "Why do you bet on it if it is fixed?" I asked. ""Who fucking cares if it's fixed????!!!!!" he thundered in his barely decipherable Glasgow street thug brogue. "There has to be a fucking winner!!!!" 

HC likes this.
  3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I went into that 30 for 30 figuring that match-fixing had to figure into Jai-Alai's demise somehow. Just couldn't believe it when I'd see a guy make a catch that would put every SportsCenter Top 10 catch to shame, then five seconds later drop one that a 6-year-old would catch.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

How do you fail to mention that the president of your sport was shot and killed at his country club?

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Especially since the trigger man, Johnny Martarano, was from Southie and a member of the Winter Hill Gang with Whitey Bulger. 30 for 30 was the brainchild of Boston Sports Guy Bill Simmons, who invented sports documentaries.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

The 85 Bears were on TV today. Two things will stick with me: the deference (and love) Singletary still shows Buddy Ryan and, as corny as it may be, the line "... revenge is best served Refrigerated."

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

As a postscript to the 30 For 30 episode, "The Greatest Who Never Was," Rev. Kenneth Fairley, the "advisor" who allegedly ripped off Marcus Dupree of around $300,000 was found guilty in a Hattiesburg federal court Monday night on two counts of theft of government funds and one count of conspiracy to defraud the government. When reached by the Clarion-Ledger this morning, Dupree's comment was that Fairley, "got what he deserved."

To which I would add a hearty "hear-hear." Fairley tried to get me fired from my job back around 2005 when he claimed I misquoted him in a story I did on a former local high school stud who he was, "mentoring," in his efforts to get the kid reinstated onto the team at Ole Miss following a suspension. So, no, I have no love for the good reverend.

BitterYoungMatador2 and Liut like this.
  9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There's a great new 30-for-30 short on Friedman's Shoes, the downtown Atlanta store that served tons of big-footed athletes before the interwebs killed retail.

Dyno likes this.
  10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I just watched it and agree that it was great. Thanks for posting about it. I need to remember to watch the shorts. I think I've enjoyed every one that I've seen.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I want to see that. Thanks for clueing me in. I once went in there with a bunch of friends, some of whom are former athletes (how they knew about the store) and have huge feet. I started looking around and found a pair of shoes I liked in my tiny size. One of my friends with a foot about twice the size of mine found the same exact pair in his sasquatch size, and he liked them too. I believe we got them together on a "buy one pair, get a second pair of shoes free" deal and we split the cost. I remember contending that he should have paid twice as much as I did because his shoes required twice the materials that mine did.

Draft saved Draft deleted