1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why people don't like the media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, Aug 6, 2016.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

You're right, there are several other factors. Our owner constantly asks our ME why we don't run four, 10-inch wire stories instead of two 20 inchers (or in the Trump hat case, one story/photo to fill about 40 inches).

If given more time and more bodies on the copy desk, I would love to scour the wire services for great photos and stories, editing them closely and tightening them to achieve what the owner wants. But he also wants us out at 11 p.m. NO MATTER WHAT because, we are short 20 drivers as it is and if they're forced to wait for their papers more will quit! (I'm not blaming the drivers ... it's one of the worst jobs in our small city).

And @Baron: funeral home directors are even worse than cranky readers. I guess if I had that job, I'd be a miserable S.O.B. too. Oh, wait ... :rolleyes:

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Funeral home directors are slightly below used car salesman on the food chain. I started at a weekly that had Monday as its production day. I would put together the whole paper at our chain's mother ship when the managing editor was on vacation. On one such occasion, the office secretary called around 10 a.m., when I was deep into production, asking if I had room for a bunch of obits that were just dropped off. Of course not. The secretary told me later the person dropping them off was not polite about it.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Media bias didn't just appear during this election season.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

But the media is already nearing the world record for being blamed by a candidate for being biased against him -- and it's only August!

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It started with recruiting classes. The media has never written a class stinks and some of them stink to high heaven.

old_tony likes this.
  6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Do you guys really trust the media? I trust myself. But I sure as hell don't trust today's media. It's a disgrace.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And Cowherd.

8. Doc Holliday

Seriously? I don't trust Cowherd. I like Cowherd. I find him entertaining, same as Rome and Patrick. But you can GFY.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Grrrrrrrr. You're an angry fellow.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  10. Doc Holliday

Not the first time I've been told that.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'll tell you this: Twitter doesn't help. It *really* doesn't help.

It's not a confessional. It's not a place for you to mingle work and political beliefs. It's not a place for apoplexy against every story of the day.

It's astonishing how many people misuse it, and, for that matter, how many who do use it right are ridiculed for staying in their lane.

I. Do. Not. Care. what you think about immigration policy. Your being a sports journalist does not make you more informed on the topic by osmosis in the newsroom.

Doc Holliday and HanSenSE like this.
  12. Doc Holliday

Yeah. Not a fan of Twitter at all. It has ruined professional credibility in general while empowering the moronic masses.

Draft saved Draft deleted