1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The original Planet of the Apes is pretty fascinating; as is the short story that became Omega Man/(Will Smith Movie, forgot name)

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I Am Legend?

I love the original Planet of the Apes.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Sausage Party. Ho-lee fuck.

If Rogen was not stoned every minute he was creating that, he was trippin' balls every minute he was creating it.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've mentioned him on here before, but have you ever read Abraham Merritt?
    If not, check out 'The Moon Pool.' Just fantastic weird/pulp fiction.
    'Creep, Shadow, Creep!' Is also really good.

I finally read Margaret St. Clair's 'Shadow People,' which was on my reading list for a long time. I had to buy an old paperback online.

I got ERB's 'Tarzan of the Apes' for free at Gutenburg. They also have his John Carter stuff.

Gutenberg also has some Machen and Ambrose Bierce.

I've become really nerdy about this stuff, especially the older pulp and weird stuff, but the newer stuff they post at Weird Fiction Review is really good, at least a lot of it is.

Most people don't dig it. I know. Especially the old stuff, which is very stylized and contains a lot elements related to race and sex that could bother contemporary readers. It is of it's time.

Check out 'The Moon Pool.' It's free on Gutneburg: The Moon Pool by Abraham Merritt.
    It's just wild, strange fun.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I should clarify that Merritt is much more pulp than weird. I'm sure a lot of people would put him in the weird genre at all. His stuff is not in the Lovecraft oeuvre.

Also, Merritt was a journalist by trade.

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Echo this. I had been looking forward to it, but wasn't blown away. The car chase scene seemed like it was eight minutes too long. I had to close my eyes because the jerky camera was making me sick, and I was sitting in the back of the theater. And then I almost dozed off. Then the fight scene lasted forever. Hasn't blowing up Vegas been done?

I wanted to love it. Found it very predictable. Didn't hate it, and maybe on a smaller screen I'll like it more. Jason Bourne is one of my favorite movie characters, although I still don't fully follow the whole Treadstone thing. I'd make a lousy spy.

Matt Damon is far more buff than I ever realized. And Tommy Lee Jones needs closeups written out of his contract. I kept staring at his left eye in the conference room scenes. Something wasn't quite right.

Also, movies here have intermissions. All of a sudden, the screen went dark and everyone got up and walked out. It was kind of nice once I realized what was happening.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Hell or High Water.

Fan-fucking-tastic.

Gotta be short-listed for Oscars for Screenplay and Jeff Bridges as Best (or probably Best Supporting).

Sorta always knew where it was going, but then again you didn't. Billed as a modern western, but I thought it was more like a gritty look at the financial collapse (it would make an excellent double feature with The Big Short). Also, the first half in particular was very funny; there's a steakhouse scene that is on par with Five Easy Pieces's hold the chicken scene, which is about as high of praise I can offer)

Aside: I saw it at 2 o'clock on a Friday here in Albuquerque, and the theater was sold out and I was the youngest person there by a decade. Old people like their movies, huh? (Probably didn't hurt that the entirety was filmed in New Mexico, even though it was set in West Texas.)

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Thanks I will.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Back to back Russell Crowe with American Gangster then A Beautiful Mind. I'd see Gangster, which is really good.

A Beautiful Mind left my eyes rather swollen.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Honey, the chances of another plane hitting this house are astronomical. It's been pre-disastered. We'll be safe here.

Always loved that line.

Ace and old_tony like this.
  11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Just saw it. I echo everything you say. Plus the music is great. Anyone on the Top 50 Americana albums thread should check it out. Theater was pretty full on bargain night, but I was still surprised by that. Word is spreading.

TigerVols likes this.
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Barbershop 2 ... not half-bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted