1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethical dilemma at work

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I guess I can understand that, if everyone is playing by the same rules, even if those are not the sanctioned rules.
    I've played in some regular games that are not played exactly by TDA rules, but the game's rules are consistently enforced.

I guess there's not a direct parallel. I don't play golf, so I guess I really don't understand.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'd love to.
    And I would not find myself on the horns of an enema.

Ace likes this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh, don't get me wrong ... I don't have any interest in cheating, in anything. Like you say, what's the point? So you "won" ... BFD.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I sure hope hole-in-one caddie doesn't get the scholarship from Judge Smails this year.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

White people problems.

Deskgrunt50 and LongTimeListener like this.
  6. Riptide

Also, I'd report that guy in a flash. Good caddies have ethics.

7. eclapt44

eclapt44 Member

I was a caddie for 8 summers.... dealt with assholes all the time. Don't snitch. Can cause more harm than good for you.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm in the camp of who gives a flying fuck? It doesn't affect you in any way, shape or form. Why get bent out of shape because some shmuck doesn't hold himself to same standard as you do?

9. Riptide

The story might get around later, like it already has here, and then people find out that the guy has a bogus hole-in-one, and then the guy himself finds out, and then the shit hits the fan for the country club. Then the country club gets ridiculed and loses face for a while, and then it takes it out on all the caddies. Or something like that ...

I don't care, either. But that's how shit blows up over jerk moves.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've gotten quite a few dozen hole-in-ones. But I've never been able to keep the ball.

Damn windmills take them all away.

Ace and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Quick answers on some questions: Caddie isn't some college aged-punk. In his 30s.

As far as the "cheating" - the course I work at hosts a PGA Tour event every year. Outside guests are required to take forecaddies and most of the people just want to experience the course. You have to be able to read groups once you meet them on the practice tee and figure out what they're there for. If I get a foursome of players, single digit types, I won't touch a ball. If guys are gambling, you avoid stuff like that. If it's a club tourney, you don't even bother. A group of four 15 handicaps who can't keep it in the fairway or hit it into the woods? Yeah, I'm tossing it from behind the tree and giving them a look or fluffing a lie so they don't duff an iron out of the ankle deep rough.

My move is when a guy slices one in the woods, I write his name on an extra ball I carry and put it in the first cut. When he asks where the drop is, I tell him he doesn't need to because his ball kicked out and is sitting pretty. Once they see their name written on the ball, they laugh and play on.

I'm not fabricating a once-in-a-lifetime moment. There's something inherently wrong about it. Almost had an ace in my group today - and it would have been an easy one to kick in. Instead, my guy was pumped for his birdie and paid me accordingly.

And for all you guys who have hole in ones? I hate you all.

12. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

I play every now and then at Wannamoisett CC in RI and have learned the hard way that the caddies will "help out " the regulars. I've taken to tipping my caddy in advance and tell him to keep an eye on the other caddies.

lcjjdnh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted