1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Andriesen in final stage of hospice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Songbird, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Thanks for reposting. I had told him I loved his "Suspicious Baby" pic.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

That's a great story. I remembered it from when it was previously on, but reading it again it still has the same power to it.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Posted this on the sports/news thread as well:

There's a post on his FB page that says he passed this morning. I'm sitting here crying, hoping it isn't true and still hoping for a miracle. If I find out anything definitive, I'll pass it along and will also post about arrangements if this is indeed true. I can't tell you how much I want to get out there for whatever memorial they do. This is all so sad.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From the GoFundMe page:

UPDATE: Dave passed away the morning of August 8th with his wife Jessica by his side. The GoFundMe will continue for as long as we can to support Jessica and Nolan.

5. God Damn it.
    That ain't fair. Or right.

fuck.

R.I.P. to Babar and nothing but the best for his family as they deal with the remains of the day.

fuck.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

RIP sir.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

On my honeymoon a few weeks ago, Dave, who I knew from here and was a Facebook friend, kept insisting I go to Lanikai Beach in Oahu.

Dave, who had excellent taste in both brisket and travel, didn't steer me wrong as the beach was, as he put it, "the most beautiful place" and he was right.

He kept popping up from time to time while we were over there with little bits of advice on things to do and places to eat.

I didn't know him in real life but I felt like I was friends with him because of our interactions.

And I knew he loved his wife and his son and that was all I really needed to know.

His passing fills me with a deep sadness and I will treasure the digital time I did have with him.

Rest in peace.

Lugnuts and Vombatus like this.
  8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

During the time when I was a regular at SJ, he was one of the people who showed me, by consistent example, how good the site could be, and how much better a person I could be. It has taken me a long time to grasp that many of my frustrations here came from a place inside me that knew that I often fell far short of the example set by David and the many other good people on the board. They represent the best of SJ, and they always will.

A sad day. RIP.

Sxysprtswrtr, Lugnuts and Vombatus like this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Had an eerie feeling when I saw this back at the top of the Journalism Topics thread. Fuck. :(

I'll say it again. Hug your children, hug your loved ones, etc. RIP.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Keep thinking about his boy. Luckily, it appears Dave has no shortage of close friends who will step up and help the young man moving forward. RIP, Dave.

12. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

I didn't know him, but I've read so many good things about him. RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted