1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nationals Park visit-Metro question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Layman, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Considering a quick visit, along with my 15 yr old Nephew, to the Nats-Indians game on 8/10. Not a full DC visit, just going to the ballgame.

It's a 4:10 game, so plenty of time to get to the ballpark.....and back to a hotel after. Will probably stay at the outer limits of a Metro line & transfer to the Green line, for the ballpark. With the Safetrack work underway....any rail line / work area to avoid?? Gracias.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

All of it. Avoid all of it. Use Uber.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm with Reacher on this. Went to a Caps game in February. Parked at Van Dorn Street (should have parked at Huntington, but that's neither here or nor there). Took close to 30 minutes for a train going toward DC to come and the trip into Chinatown ended up taking close to 90 minutes. It was ridiculous. Should be 30 minutes, tops. Also, on weekdays, you have to worry about the potential of extra innings and missing your train back.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

When and why did Metro become such a mess? I don't get up to DC as much as I'd like anymore, but I've never had an issue grabbing a train from Alexandria into the city.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Van Dorn is on the Blue Line, and for some reason, on weekends, they divert like two out of every three Blue Line trains to the Yellow Line starting at King Street. Huntington, and the Yellow Line in general, is a much better bet on weekends.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Definitely take Uber/Lyft. Even in a Saturday traffic jam, the trip from the farther reaches of Alexandria will be quicker than the current Metro mess. Another thought: you can usually get a hotel room on Hotwire very reasonably during the weekend in Crystal City. My last two weekend visits there, I've paid ~$60/night to stay at the Sheraton.

The Blue Line also swings through Rosslyn and takes the long way around into the city.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

The good news is that the Safetrack surges will only affect the Red Line on Aug. 10, so avoid that, and you should be in OK shape. Of course, someone may sneeze in a Metro station and derail the train, so buyer beware.

Another potential, if more pricey option: water taxi. They're down to one service, but these guys run a route from Alexandria and National Harbor to the ballpark.

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Aside from SafeTrack, they do other weeknight track work that could affect you. Usually starts at 8 pm, so you might be OK, but if the game goes long or there's some other delay, you could get caught up in it. They don't usually announce that work until a few days before. I agree with the rest: use Uber/Lyft.

9. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Glad I asked. When visiting 3 years ago, I found it to be one of the easier mass transit systems I'd ever used. Kinda shocked, even with the SafeTrack shutdowns, it's this unreliable now. I'll look at Plan B

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Lyft a great way to get around DC.

Draft saved Draft deleted