1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And when you thought it couldn't get worse for the San Francisco Giants: Down 4-1 in the bottom of the eighth, bases loaded ... and batter lines into a triple play.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

True, but I think the market has been set in that the Cubs, in a situation similar to the Nationals, just traded the No. 26 overall prospect, a position player from the system's surplus, along with an MLB middle reliever, a borderline top 100 prospect and another lower level lottery ticket for two months plus the playoffs of a closer you could say is of equal value, right down the hand they throw with.

I don't think a deal for that closer, with another two years on his contract, for the No. 4 overall prospect, which is coming from a surplus, isn't far off in terms of value. The Nats' next pitching prospect, Lopez, is ranked 49th overall. I don't think you can headline a package for Miller with that. Now I think the Yankees would also do a Miller for Trea Turner straight up as Turner is ranked the 11th overall prospect. I could see Ross maybe being paired with Lopez but I certainly wouldn't do Ross for Miller straight up.

And again, if I'm the Nats, I'm going to win my division. I'm a good series away from overtaking the Cubs for best record in MLB. If you can lock down what is going to be a key piece, I think I do it.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Just because the Cubs overpaid for a closer doesn't mean the Nationals have to do the same. If the Yankees insist on being overpaid, the Nats should turn their attention to somebody else. I've read that they are in on Melancon, who should come more cheaply.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yanks will get more.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

And Zimmerman's awkward and horrendous looking throwing motion was in full display. Has that ball reached third yet?

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Bregman is 0 for his first 13 with the Astros.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

8. outofplace

If they do, the Nationals made a big mistake.

9. Della9250

Nats trade for Melancon. I'd rather have what they gave up (Rivero and their No. 27 prospect) than two months of Melancon but whatever.

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Well they got the guy out, so...

Also, it was the first 3-3-5 triple play in major league history.

11. outofplace

You can easily question both sides of this deal. I'm not a fan of paying a big price for a closer, especially one who is a rental, but Melancon does solve their closer problem. They are in win-now mode and they were able to make the deal without giving up Giolito or Turner.

The Pirates got at least one good prospect back for a guy who was going to leave after the season, but what about 2016? Despite a lousy, cost-cutting offseason, they are still in contention, but instead of addressing their pitching problems, they made the staff even worse. Once again, cutting costs comes before putting the best product on the field in Pittsburgh.

12. Della9250

I think the Pirates just slot in Rivero in either the seventh or eighth inning and will be fine from that point. That's why I don't really get the deal for the Nats. You gave up a guy, who was part of the back of the bullpen, to get a guy to close but you weakened the road to get there (Rivero is now gone and Papelbon pitches before the 9th) so what exactly did you gain?

Draft saved Draft deleted