1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons' new site

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 17, 2016.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

You are right. But, and I would like to have personal experience with this, Brady is clueless about the world around him, as are most of the veteran NFL players, the majority of NBA players and a great proportion of MLB players.(include successful actors, actresses and other very successful entertainers.) We are not talking those that fly 1st class and stay in suites at the Ritz Carlton or 4 Seasons, but some of those. Those private jet flying, limo riding with homes in multiple locations or renting apartments or villas everywhere and have entourages/posses/valets/butlers/nanny's.

Brady and his ilk are so out of touch, so beyond the concerns and worries of everyday life that most news events are unimportant. For Brady its been since he was 24 years old, but he's an old example. He may have been golden child in HS but he wasn't a 'lottery pick' since he was 15.
    My favorite example, obviously is King James/The Chosen One/ Those are Middle School and HS nick names. Maybe he and his mother lived in rent control or on section 8 housing at some point or even through HS, but unless you live in Beverly Hills, Greenwich Conn or the Upper East Side, you don't get a Hummer for HS graduation. He's more clueless about real life than Brady. Boogie Cousins? You think he's grounded? You think anyone growing up worked to keep him grounded?
    Being in a bubble of constant reinforcement of your greatness with nary a negative or corrective word sent your way ought to create an invincible belief in your own intelligence. And for people who aren't highly educated, this is the greatest narcotic in the world.

Brady IS clueless. So are most athletes, actors and entertainers. It is the rare actor who went to Yale or NYU.

2. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

The debut of Any Given Wednesday was OK. Not sure what I thought about Simmons' wardrobe, but I don't know what more should have been expected out of those interviews. Aside from the stale joke about Steph's shoes, the bit about Curry's commercials was decent (I guess that BFF Katie Nolan and all of Simmons' fellow feminists were OK with him essentially making the exact same comment about Ayesha Curry that Stephen A. did). The monologue was the monologue. Giving the belt to 2016 was a cop-out, but that segment has a lot of potential. Could end up being the thing to look forward to.

I don't remember many talk shows that I loved from the opening monologue of the opening episode. It takes time, and I'm fine with giving that time to Simmons. Only costs me 30 minutes each week, and what else am I going to be watching during the summer. I am not sure what the schedule looks like, but Simmons will get a good test over the next few weeks since the summer's sports schedule is so boring.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Ratings for Bill Simmons' 'Any Given Wednesday' aren't pretty

Bad boy Bill Simmons is nothing more than an HBO cheerleader

I never understood why Simmons and HBO would launch a sports show in the dead of summer. His ratings are plummeting and aside from the Ben Affleck -- is he drunk? -- buzz, the show has generated no buzz. As the Daily News column points out, Simmons has not been capitalizing on his HBO platform. Take some chances, say some incendiary things. Maybe that was never Bill, but something needs to turn around. I'm a fan, but I have made no effort to watch the last few episodes, mostly because it's the summer.

Meanwhile, wtf is going on with The Ringer? There's no guiding principle to that site. It's all over the place, and not in a good way. Never see their stories being shared on social media.

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Maybe he needs bigger tits.

JackReacher and CD Boogie like this.
  5. CD Boogie

At the very least he should parade them

TyWebb likes this.
  6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Well, my first piece of advice to Bill: STOP TALKING ABOUT FUCKING DEFLATEGATE.

Jeez, to say Simmons is irrationally obsessed with that story would be understatement. He's wasted a gazillion hours in podcast and other airtime ranting about it, he quizzes about every guest he can on it, he essentially got fired from ESPN because of his refusal to stop attacking Goodell over it, he opened the premiere of his HBO show with a profanity-laced Deflategate whack off session with Ben Affleck. And now, after a couple weeks off and plenty of time to come up with new material, he instead goes right back to the deflategate well, this time in the form of a lame and painfully drawn-out courtroom skit.

And all while seeming oblivious to the fact that those outside the Boston area no longer give a shit about that story. For chrissakes, HBO is paying you 20-something million to use your creative talents, come up with something new to talk about.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Why does it matter if it was profanity-laced? Cursing is good. At all times, goddammit.

SnarkShark likes this.
  8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I was listening to an NBA podcast of his on my way to work this morning (it was a Facebook Live experiment gone wrong) and he made some sort of comment that he doesn't expect people to watch his TV show live and that they can view it later on a variety of platforms. He then told people to DVR season pass the show so they will have it hand when they are ready to watch an episode.

So I'm guessing that the ratings thing is an issue.

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. CD Boogie

I watched the skit he did with Michael Rappaport about Deflategate, with each presenting their case to Judge Joe Brown. It's a really tired topic, but Rappaport was freaking hysterical in it. I think that's Simmons' biggest drawback: he's not quick-witted and TV demands it.

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I've always really liked when he has Rappaport on. Rappaport is hyper and all over the place, and clearly not for everyone, but I always enjoy it.

re: Former Grantland employees, Zach Lowe had a really good podcast with Jack McCallum this week.

Webster likes this.
  11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I like Rappaport, but his whole manic thing has to be an act at some level.

The McCallum podcast was great. Smart guy.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Simmons is using a bulldozer for his humor and subject. Being funny on TV is like being a fencer. A light touch but surgical precision when needed.

Draft saved Draft deleted